mini loaders, and 21K GVW dump trailers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MillerTreeMN

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
im considering purchasing a mini- loader of some sort.

maybe a boxer, a toro "dingo" or a bobcat model.

ive seen the Vermeer S600s but i assume those are tough on the lawns if they are a skid steer design ?

how well do these mini track machines get around in winter, if there is any snow or ice on the ground ????

can they climb a hill, that is somewhat steep ? sometimes my Rayco 1635 doesnt even want to climb up my deck over dump-trailer

last, about this mini-loaders, HOW HIGH does the bucket / fork go up in the air ??

next subject... Dump trailers. i might upgrade from my 8'X14' 14,000 GVS tandem axle dump trailer to a longer / larger trailer.

some of those are triple 7k axle trailers. how well do these corner ? tire replacement has to get expensive... 6 at a time... pros or cons to a triple axle trailer ? or should a guy go with a tandem dually trailer instead of a single wheel triple axle ?

Anyone own a trailer built by "Quality Services Trailers" in Missouri ?

i looked at the mini skids.

no way it would have worked for me.i bought a compact utility tractor.i can run two implements at once,it will climb almost anything,it will lift a lot more and higher,and it's easier on the lawns.

no way it would have worked for me.i bought a compact utility tractor.i can run two implements at once,it will climb almost anything,it will lift a lot more and higher,and it's easier on the lawns.

What tractor do you got?

well, ive seen a mini bobcat in action,

i was impressed with its lifting capacity, 3 pine trees at a time,

but the ground clearance was obviously lacking, getting hung up on some of the stumps, ( i guess you could go AROUND them when able to )

a while back that guy tipped the bobcat over, burned up the motor ( $5K whoopsies )

but i never saw it try to climb a wet hill or anything like that,

theres a Kubota mini tractor i could consider but i dont think it has nearly the lifting capacity i need. and it is longer than a mini skid so i dont know how well it would work in the dump trailer with the stump grinder in there.

Last edited:
You can search and find lots of info on Minis on here, I have been wanting one for a while and found a Bobcat MT52 a couple of months ago on Craigslist for $3500.. I painted it and put new decals on it, and rebuilt one of the drive motors.. Its lift height is 72in one of the highest in its class, goes up hills pretty well and easy on lawns..

I like my 14ft 7ton PJ trailer I would't want a bigger one without a goose neck hitch.. And if you got one with 3 axles it would turn like crap i would think.. Also a F350 Duallie would be better suited for a large goose neck Dump trailer..
attachment.php

attachment.php

Dump Trailer and 04 Super Duty
attachment.php

attachment.php

excellent post Jtinatree

as i mentioned though, if i got a 16' trailer it would probably make fitting the loader AND stump grinder much more possible...

i would probably skip the triple axle trailer....

and maybe just put air bags or beef up the rear suspension on my truck to handle the longer trailer tongue / tongue weight

so does anyone know how these handle in icy / winter conditions ?

ok, with the stump grinder in the front of the dump trailer all the way forward and the cutting wheel facing backwards there is 5 feet left between the wheel and the rear gate.

is that enough room for a mini loader behind it ? maybe with the bucket under the stumpers cutting wheel ?

EDIT looks like the bobcat mini loaders are 7.5-8 feet long. i dont know if that includes the rear standing plate / forks / bucket / whatever

so maybe a 16' dump trailer is going to be necessary

Last edited:
excellent post Jtinatree

as i mentioned though, if i got a 16' trailer it would probably make fitting the loader AND stump grinder much more possible...

i would probably skip the triple axle trailer....

and maybe just put air bags or beef up the rear suspension on my truck to handle the longer trailer tongue / tongue weight

What kind of truck u using? ..

so does anyone know how these handle in icy / winter conditions ?

Can't say on the winter and ice yet but then again just got the Mini, and we hardly ever get snow here in Northern NC..

What Kind of truck are u useing?

campingprincetonshoot-15.jpg

5-7-2006-19.jpg

my truck NEVER has a hard time pulling this trailer no matter what the load is, as long as the load is balanced decent.

Yeh, Ive grossed out over 22k with mine before there is just the saftey issue with that much .. Is that a SRW F350? How long is that trailer?

Ive been looking for a 05-06 SRW 350 Crew long bed lariat that's priced right but hard to come by around here..

Careful how much weight your pulling with the trailer hitch. I believe the hitch is only rated for 6,000 lbs (12,000 lbs if your using a load equalizing hitch).

You may also want to check your state laws on class of license. Around here any combined trailer weight over 10,120lbs requires a special lic.

Lots of info on mini here (search function). I don't think you'll be able to fit one on your existing trailer (with stumpgrinder) unless you can put it on sideways.

Here is a mini skid comparison (from 2006) that may help you:

http://www.landscapeandirrigation.net/Landscaping/lanscapingsub/pageMiniSkidSteer2006.htm

As far as how they work in the snow, you may want to check on some of the landscape or plow sites. Lots of info there.

Here is what I'm running right now:

attachment.php

2000 Dodge 2500 4x4
2009 Griffin 6 ton dump trailer
2005 Bandit 65xl

SQUAD-

i have a pintel hitch, plenty strong for this trailer.

and i also have a Class A CDL, i can drive any combination up to 80,000 pounds :)

if i offset the stump grinder and the mini loader in the current dump trailer i should have no problem.

but a new, longer trailer would always be nice :greenchainsaw:

Longer is always better....... or so they say.:hmm3grin2orange:

Dump trailers around here are a magnet for the DOT.

I'm surprised with the train that I'm pulling that I have not been stopped yet. Guess I havn't passed one yet. Must be up too early and home too late.

Latest posts

Back