mini loaders, and 21K GVW dump trailers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deep mud is not good. Low ground pressure on the loader causes slippage, after so much slippage now you got it in a hole. If you have a big load and you hit a hole or uneven ground Lord help ya. you are gonna need it.
These things are meant to be operated in the best of circimstance. I do do some work with mine and it works well but it has limitations. Trying to push them with these loaders is not wise. Take it easy.

Last edited:
Can't say on the winter and ice yet but then again just got the Mini, and we hardly ever get snow here in Northern NC..

What Kind of truck are u useing?

Tracks slip all over the place on ice. Good on snow though if it the tracks have something to bite into. I use my mt50 to clean up wet heavy plow windrows that my 11hp snowblower can't go through. The mini pushes them pretty easily so long as I don't try to take the whole windrow at once. These minis won't do what a full-sized skid deer will do but they sure do a lot for their size!

Mine also goes through mud very well but slips on frozen ground when climbing a slope or pulling my 5000# towable boom lift. Otherwise, it climbs slopes fine when it has traction. I load mine onto my f350 chip truck using 6' ramps and it's an angle of about 35 degrees - maybe more and it climbs fine.

If I'm not hauling my mini on my chip truck, I haul it on a 14' flatbed trailer along side my sc252 grinder. If you pull the pair behind a dump truck, it's a great setup. You can load logs, brush or stump grindings onto the truck bed and have both your mini and grinder along to finish the job in one trip.

Tracks slip all over the place on ice. Good on snow though if it the tracks have something to bite into. I use my mt50 to clean up wet heavy plow windrows that my 11hp snowblower can't go through. The mini pushes them pretty easily so long as I don't try to take the whole windrow at once. These minis won't do what a full-sized skid deer will do but they sure do a lot for their size!

Mine also goes through mud very well but slips on frozen ground when climbing a slope or pulling my 5000# towable boom lift. Otherwise, it climbs slopes fine when it has traction. I load mine onto my f350 chip truck using 6' ramps and it's an angle of about 35 degrees - maybe more and it climbs fine.

If I'm not hauling my mini on my chip truck, I haul it on a 14' flatbed trailer along side my sc252 grinder. If you pull the pair behind a dump truck, it's a great setup. You can load logs, brush or stump grindings onto the truck bed and have both your mini and grinder along to finish the job in one trip.
Ramps? Homemade or store bought. I thought about it but don't really like the idea. I mean you are going to need one solid set of ramps. I would think that transportation technique could only be performed in the best of conditions as well.

Ramps? Homemade or store bought. I thought about it but don't really like the idea. I mean you are going to need one solid set of ramps. I would think that transportation technique could only be performed in the best of conditions as well.

The ramps are from the load trail dump trailer you see in the previous attached photo. If you look closely at the photo of the chip truck, I have a piece of flat steel welded on each side of the platform where I load the mini skid so i can hook the ramps on without fear of them falling off. I prefer to back the mini skid onto the truck but I sometimes drive it up - just have to go slow to allow it to slowly rotate at the tip point of the tracks. This is the one case where a wheel loader would be nice - no tipping back or foward when driving over an edge or curb. However, for about everything else, the tracks are great. Try driving a wheeled machine over the top of a brush or log pile and see how well it does... Tracks just float on over the top. And, no problems with flat tires.

As for hauling the mini on the truck along with a load of chips and the chipper in tow... yeah, i'm overweight but the truck handles the weight well. The trailer brakes on the chipper help it to stop safely and I always take it easy. Usually, i dump a full load of chips before returning to pick up the 2500# mini. With my setup, I'd have to unload the mini anyways as the platform it rides on is part of the chip box dump bed. I work in a fairly local area (typically travel less than 5 miles between locations) so this setup works very well for me and helps me to be efficient with getting equipment to/from the jobsite with as few people as possible. Especially with an 18" chipper now - I always want to have the mini along with me to load the chipper. If I didn't haul the mini on the truck, it would mean making some kind of carrier for the chipper or bringing another trailer - not an option for me.

Branch Manager Grapple on ebay

As a side to this thread on minis, there's a Branch Manager Grapple listed on ebay for $1200. I wrote to the guy about shipping but before he could answer I bought a new one. 'Seemed like a pretty decent guy.
No connection to me,
Phil
branch manager

The ramps are from the load trail dump trailer you see in the previous attached photo. If you look closely at the photo of the chip truck, I have a piece of flat steel welded on each side of the platform where I load the mini skid so i can hook the ramps on without fear of them falling off. I prefer to back the mini skid onto the truck but I sometimes drive it up - just have to go slow to allow it to slowly rotate at the tip point of the tracks. This is the one case where a wheel loader would be nice - no tipping back or foward when driving over an edge or curb. However, for about everything else, the tracks are great. Try driving a wheeled machine over the top of a brush or log pile and see how well it does... Tracks just float on over the top. And, no problems with flat tires.

As for hauling the mini on the truck along with a load of chips and the chipper in tow... yeah, i'm overweight but the truck handles the weight well. The trailer brakes on the chipper help it to stop safely and I always take it easy. Usually, i dump a full load of chips before returning to pick up the 2500# mini. With my setup, I'd have to unload the mini anyways as the platform it rides on is part of the chip box dump bed. I work in a fairly local area (typically travel less than 5 miles between locations) so this setup works very well for me and helps me to be efficient with getting equipment to/from the jobsite with as few people as possible. Especially with an 18" chipper now - I always want to have the mini along with me to load the chipper. If I didn't haul the mini on the truck, it would mean making some kind of carrier for the chipper or bringing another trailer - not an option for me.

Nice set-up indeed.

not sure where that came from.

Fishercat,

Your pic in your signature didn't show.

For those who missed it:

attachment.php

not the picture i tried to post.

Arborpro, So you got your motor work on the MT fixed? Also how are the Prowler tracks holding up?

Haven't replaced the heads yet. Mechanic cleaned out the radiator again and checked a couple of other things. I'm having continual problems with the radiator plugging up and overheating the engine. Any other mini skid brands have the same problems or does anyone know if the bobcat mt52 or 55 have problems with radiators plugging often?

I don't know if the tracks are Prowler - I know they aren't Bobcat brand. I bought them for about half the price of bobcat tracks and they seem to be holding up fine. Actually, I wish the tread would wear down sooner so I wouldn't rut up wet yards!

thanks again for all the help and info.

ive pretty much decided to go with a medium duty tractor...

with Turf tires- i have a higher ground clearance than the mini-track loaders, i wont be tearing up sod everytime i turn, and it is a somewhat more versatile machine.

i was going to go with a Kubota, but they seem to be 3-4 thousand dollars more than the equal sized John Deere.

heres one option, and it just might be too small- THOUGH... small, compact, gets into yards, doesnt sink into the yard, etc... would be nice- and small doesnt scare the customer so bad.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/servlet/ProdCatProduct?pNbr=0140LV&tM=GC

the loader lift capacity says 562 pounds ( at a certain height ) which should be all i need... but...

here is the next size up...

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductC...iew.servlets.ProdCatProduct?pNbr=0150LV&tM=GC

lift capacity at a certain height is 800 pounds.

im sure both machines may lift more than stated, but, why abuse the smaller machine ?

yet, the smaller machine might fit in my current dump trailer with the stump grinder better than the big machine would... ugh. decisions decisions.

Last edited:
ok, just for fun, i turned my stump grinder, and ran it as far forward into the trailer as possible. i gained THREE feet of space loading it in sort of side ways VS loading it in straight.

so before i only had 5 feet of space behind it, now i have 8 feet of space between the tire and the rear gate.

stumper.jpg

i wonder if i turned it 180 degrees and had the cutter wheel / duallys forward if i would gain any more space ? have to try that out tomorrow. i could take the dual wheel off and gain a few inches of space that way. ( 5-6 inches or so )

as for the bucket, depending how i arrange the two machines i could either have the bucket hanging over the front of the trailer / tongue ( probably the best way to do it then load the stumper in there sideways behind it ( i doubt i want the bucket hanging over the back too far ( D.O.T. issues )

or, i could try to fit them in there, one farther forward than the other, and stagger them aside each other a little bit.

Go with the 2320, it's basically the same as the 2305 just more rugged and 4x4 is standard. That's actually the dream tractor for me basically, except no turf tires, I'd run ag tires - no customers to worry about here - just the wife :cheers:

I'd skip John Deere.

thanks again for all the help and info.

ive pretty much decided to go with a medium duty tractor...

with Turf tires- i have a higher ground clearance than the mini-track loaders, i wont be tearing up sod everytime i turn, and it is a somewhat more versatile machine.

i was going to go with a Kubota, but they seem to be 3-4 thousand dollars more than the equal sized John Deere.

heres one option, and it just might be too small- THOUGH... small, compact, gets into yards, doesnt sink into the yard, etc... would be nice- and small doesnt scare the customer so bad.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/servlet/ProdCatProduct?pNbr=0140LV&tM=GC

the loader lift capacity says 562 pounds ( at a certain height ) which should be all i need... but...

here is the next size up...

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductC...iew.servlets.ProdCatProduct?pNbr=0150LV&tM=GC

lift capacity at a certain height is 800 pounds.

im sure both machines may lift more than stated, but, why abuse the smaller machine ?

yet, the smaller machine might fit in my current dump trailer with the stump grinder better than the big machine would... ugh. decisions decisions.

Too much money.they are too narrow and tall.you can't see over the hood.I looked at all the Brands around here.JD was almost 15K more than my Mahindra with the same implements.the 15/16 series engine/trans are made in Japan just like JD.they are shipped here and assembled with American loaders,ROPS and accessories,just like JD.

Turf tires are for mowing.i got the R4 industrial tires and they are great.not as aggressive as AG tires and are easy on laws if you use your brain.

I wanted to buy a JD but green paint and stickers aren't $15,000 andi still feel i got a better tractor.

at least do your self a favor and go look around at the different brands.you may find yourself thankful for doing so.

Last edited:
ive never even heard of your brand to be honest, so if i needed parts... im guessing they would be pretty tough to find...

ok, so just how much was your tractor without attachments...

they have a dealer locator.

there is plenty of info online about them.

i think it was 16,500 with the loader. this is over two years ago.

i also got the grapple and control valve

Woods 60" bush hog

Bradco pallet forks

Woods 60" york rake

total was around 24 or 25k

engine,trans and axles are Mitsubishi,bullet proof according to a buddy in Tennessee who used to be a Mitsu dealer.he said after he sold them he never saw them again.once in a while he would sell a filter or two.

there is plenty of info online about them.

i think it was 16,500 with the loader. this is over two years ago.

i also got the grapple and control valve

Woods 60" bush hog

Bradco pallet forks

Woods 60" york rake

total was around 24 or 25k

engine,trans and axles are Mitsubishi,bullet proof according to a buddy in Tennessee who used to be a Mitsu dealer.he said after he sold them he never saw them again.once in a while he would sell a filter or two.

And if you paint it yellow and green then its a JD.

I used to own a JD 955 with 32hp engine. I wouldn't go any much smaller than that. I could lift about 1200 lb with mine and that was without a grapple on it. A good grapple will add another 100-200#. You're going to want a grapple to move brush and logs without cutting them to bucket size or you're just wasting time and money.

Nothing wrong with turf tires on these tractors. That's what I ran on my 955 and had plenty of traction with the front wheel assist. I wouldn't suggest going with only rear wheel drive. When you have a lot of weight on the front end, those rear tires can just sit there and spin.

Also, don't forget that the turn radius will not be that of a mini skid steer. You are going to need more room for maneuvering. That's why I went with a mini vs a tractor - that and the ability to fit through a 36" gate which comes in very handy from time to time. The tractors are indeed nice but IMO, are better suited for landscapers who are moving bulk material or running PTO attachments. That's what I used mine for and it worked great. Skid steers are better suited for moving tree debris IMO.

Either way, it's better than moving/loading stuff my hand.

arbor pro-

this tractor has a 24 hp diesel and 4 wheel drive.

my brother, who does 2X the work i do, and 2X the size jobs i do runs a kubota tractor, and wouldnt have it any other way.

so i have seen its capabilities and how easy on the lawn they are.

when i have my buddy bring in his tracked skid steer to load logs for me, it never fails- he still sinks in or tears sod turning.

so on the occasional job my tractor wouldnt be able to lift i can still call in his skid steer. i can name SO many jobs just in the last few weeks i should have had some kind of loader there.

i feel this will be a huge benefit.

I know you said kubota is expensive but there is a reason. They are very good tractors. I would look at the TLB series kubota has, the loaders on them are VERY strong. I watched a guy use a b26 to load logs and I was amazed at what it could pick up. Also I saw the smaller JD you where looking at on a local craigslist for $4200 4x4, loader, backhoe, belly mower, brush hog, and a couple other attachments with 113 hours.

Latest posts

Back