Mini Mill setup for pine and fir logs - Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance

Reaction score
(here goes - first post)

I've just let the milling bug bite me and I ordered the Mini Mill to get started. I may get an Alaskan (and big saw) later on or …

For now I just want to mill some slabs for a couple picnic tables and make some half-log benches and such for a piece of cabin property (no cabin yet). The logs are mostly Red Fir and Lodgepole Pine. The logs will likely be in the 12-16" diameter. The trees on the property range up to 24" dbh but I don't have any plans for the big ones (for now).

Here is the kicker - I don't want to buy a new saw right now(!)

I want to do this with my Stihl 029 (which currently has a 20" bar). Yes, I know you all advise against this saw for milling but considering this is limited duty (Mini Mill) and softwoods - Will It Work?

I do plan on springing for a longer bar (24") and ripping chain to make this remotely feasible. Also keep in mind that the saw will be converted back to stock for it's main firewood duties.

I have read a TON of posts/threads on tips and milling so I know I'm pushing it. I'll richen it up and crank up the oiling and go easy. Eventually the bug will probably push me to more/bigger saws and mills but for now can I make this work??

Is the 24" bar with the 029 a good choice for my application? (.325 pitch, .050bar, Granberg Rip chain)

Any tips? Am I crazy?

Thanks in advance,

Vance in Northern Calif

P.S. I really appreciate all the great tips and info on this site. I hope that I can contibute someday and save some nice wood from the fireplace along the way.

No, its not a good choice of a saw. Spend the money now on a larger saw or spend more money later on a larger saw and a rebuild of your 029.

It will work fine, just not very quick. I have a similar setup with a MS310 with a 24" bar and a Mini Mill. I used it to cut the 6x6 posts and 6x10 beams for my backyard arbor. I was milling incense cedar. It took a while but they came out decent and the chainsaw is back to cutting firewood none the worse for ware.

Thanks - any more Mini Mill tips?

Thanks for the tips and comments. I'll post the results once I get a chance to try this out.

I WILL get a bigger saw at some point. There are some larger trees that I need to fell that are certainly a challenge for my saw. I have been looking tho... I ran across a good looking 066 with extra bars and chain for $400 but... noooooo

thanks again - any other tips on the Mini Mill???

Vance

Well I've found that ear muffs and dirt bike goggles really help to keep the dust out of your eyes and ears, plus you don't have to listen to the full saw noise.. Mini-mill's throw all the saw dust right on you.. Even my Rockman helmet with built in muffs and face shield doesn't seem to keep it out of my eyes as well as dirt bike goggles.

Latest posts

Back