mini, skid, or articulated loader.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanopyGorilla

climber....sawyer
Reaction score
So, my business has been growing at a pace I never imagined. I thought we would be a pickup truck climbing and pruning company for two years until we could buy equipment. So far in nine months we have purchased a 9k dump trailer, $5500 bandit 150, a new 660, a new 562xp, a 07 dodge 1 ton, and 3k in rigging. I'm a few months out from our next big buy but what do you think adds to efficiency more? A mini skid, a full size skid, or articulated loader? We cover mostly res work in the summer and have been busy with forestry and light logging this winter.

Any type of loader. I got a mini last summer and I can definitely see an improvement in production. It's great for back yards and tight gates, etc.
On the other hand I can see how a bigger loader would also help with big wood and loading a bigger truck.
You just gotta see what will work best for you in your current situation

I agree with treecutterjr. I would buy a mini first, though, because you will use it the most right away. Soft yards this spring arent going to tolerate a big loader. A mini with wide rubber tracks is the ticket.It does the work of 3 men. It feeds brush, hauls wood, cleans up stumps, pulls over trees, blows snow, power rakes, etc, etc. All with very little, if any, ground disturbance.
You'll make so much money so fast, you won't believe it. Then buy a big loader before winter logging starts. Or use that money and go on vacation.

Soft yards this Spring aren't gonna tolerate a 2500 - 3000lb mini, regardless of whether or not it is equipped with "wide" (9" lol) tracks.
But I do very much appreciate my mini despite having to lay out a red carpet (plywood highway) for it more often than not.

Soft yards this Spring aren't gonna tolerate a 2500 - 3000lb mini, regardless of whether or not it is equipped with "wide" (9" lol) tracks.
But I do very much appreciate my mini despite having to lay out a red carpet (plywood highway) for it more often than not.
I apologize. I hope you don't have an image of driving a mini through a muddy yard without any damage. I meant, in comparison to a wheel loader or anything bigger. I am sorry if I caused any confusion.
Geez!

No apologies necessary!
Lawn ravaging is one of the very few things I dislike about my SK650; the other being the challenge of actually trying to get a wrench in some spots. (example: tightening the alternator belt requires feeling for the bolts rather than being able to see what you are doing). The manufacturer seems to have fitted a steel sarcophagus over the innards.
Anyway, miniskids and plywood are soul mates.....

No apologies necessary!
Lawn ravaging is one of the very few things I dislike about my SK650; the other being the challenge of actually trying to get a wrench in some spots. (example: tightening the alternator belt requires feeling for the bolts rather than being able to see what you are doing). The manufacturer seems to have fitted a steel sarcophagus over the innards.
Anyway, miniskids and plywood are soul mates.....
I had a bobcat MT55 for 6 years. Had it in the shop 1 time. Made alot of money the year before last and traded it in on the exact same model. You may want to look into one if yours gives you trouble.
with the wide tracks it has I seldom use pads to drive on. Some minis don't distribute the weight along the tracks as well as the bobcat. I've been very happy with it.

image.jpg I think a wacker wl25 or gehl al140 would b awesome. Minis are great but I don't have a big chipper so it's not going to b loading a giant limbs. I use a tr270 case for when there's truck loads of wood. Half the time it's more work not trying to destroy the yard I'll just throw any logs in by hand if I can manage. Towing a 9k skid thru town gets annoying after a while.

View attachment 406886 I think a wacker wl25 or gehl al140 would b awesome. Minis are great but I don't have a big chipper so it's not going to b loading a giant limbs. I use a tr270 case for when there's truck loads of wood. Half the time it's more work not trying to destroy the yard I'll just throw any logs in by hand if I can manage. Towing a 9k skid thru town gets annoying after a while.
:numberone::blob2::cheers:I want!download.jpg

Articulated seems like an awesome option. Not as big as a skid and not as limited as a mini. My dilemma is I would love a mini in the summer and a full blown skidder in the winter..... . hmmmmm?

Articulated seems like an awesome option. Not as big as a skid and not as limited as a mini. My dilemma is I would love a mini in the summer and a full blown skidder in the winter..... . hmmmmm?
I think it would be smart to get both. Just get smaller one first. Whether you get a mini with tracks or the gehl with the wide or dual tires, you'll be increasing production so much that you'll be able to get a big loader. Then imagine next season,you'll be able to have the option of big or small on every job. Every job will go faster. That's why the tree industry is so much fun. There's always a way forward.

I think it would be smart to get both. Just get smaller one first. Whether you get a mini with tracks or the gehl with the wide or dual tires, you'll be increasing production so much that you'll be able to get a big loader. Then imagine next season,you'll be able to have the option of big or small on every job. Every job will go faster. That's why the tree industry is so much fun. There's always a way forward.
Then get a bigger chipper! That's when your production just goes through the roof!

I own an articulated loader and a mini-skid. I may sell the loader since it rarely leaves the shop. It's just easier to load the mini-skid and most of the time we are working in yards that are steep with difficult access. Also, if you buy an articulated later I think you need a large dump truck to get the most use from it. The mini-skid and dump trailer are an efficient pair.

Either way you won't look back to not having some kind of loader.

I luv my mini and BMG grapple, 2.5 years and I already have 800 hours on it. Being without one isn't an option for me, which is why I designed my truck like it is...it saves so much work and physical strain. I run a 2 man crew, but the mini is my 3-4 man.

I do carry plywood, but it is mostly for turning spots. The only time I make a highway, is when it is soft or super fussy customer.

Eventually I'd like to get a larger loader...but not till I have a better shop. Cause then I'll have room to dump large quantities of wood and chips, and need something to mess with that...and large logs.

How much reach does a Bmg grapple have over a set of forks, heigth and length out?
I have s dingo 425 that I think is just barely going to reach over the dump bed trailer I just bought.
I know I need the Bmg, just wanting to know in Adnvance the reach advantages.
Thx.

Latest posts

Back