Mini skids revisited.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeJunkie

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking at buying a mini skid and top notch grapple.( Preferably w/ tracks) I'd like to be able to find a good machine which will go through a 36" gate and not cost me a small fortune. What's everyones top buys?

From what i've been finding is that the prowler that koa has and the comparable boxer are the only two on the market which have the adjustable tracks which will allow them to go through the gate.

Two questions:

1.) Are these the only two machines on the market which fit this bill?

2.) If so then what are the differences between the two if any?

I also want to know what people think about the wheeled kanga. I've found one which seems like a great buy however it seems the lift height might not be addequate. What's everyones thoughts about this machine?

Last edited:
Brandon,
According to my salesman at Compact Power, the Prowler and Boxer are identical machines, only the labeling is different. I believe the Toro Dingo has a track version that is 34.5 inches wide, fixed track width. The Prowler/Boxer has about 10-12 inches more lifting height and at least a 100 lbs more lifting capacity than the Dingo. Compact Power has some good used machines for sale on their website. I bought a used machine for around $5000 less than new from them. No problems with my machine so far....I have been running it about 7 months.

What about a 463 bobcat? It's a ride on machine and is about the same size as a walk behind and can be made less than 36" wide with a different off set wheel. Just a thought.

I have rented a ditch witch with tracks that is under 36 inches wide that worked great. Had gas motor, I think new price around $11 or $ 12k

Xander thats what I have is a 463 Bobcat it works great for us. I think if you are going to be off and on alot a walk behind might work better. I like the 463 saves us tons of time.

xander9727 said:
What about a 463 bobcat? It's a ride on machine and is about the same size as a walk behind and can be made less than 36" wide with a different off set wheel. Just a thought.

I have a 463 and really like it. The nice thing is that you have the ability to kick it up on the back wheels and pivot, drop down and continue which doesn't tear up the yard.

I'm sure the 463 is a great unit. However i think a walk behind or stand on will suit my needs a little better. the 463 might be a bit overkill for my needs.
:p
Now without further a do...Back to our regularly scheduled topic

Mini-skids

What are we talking to buy a new 463? What attachments do you have for it?

I may be interested in getting bigger, as I have three boys that will need (emphasis on NEED) to be working in a few years.

I would like everyone's input on what piece of equipment (or two) they would purchase first if you were to start over. I rent a chipper when I need one, which isn't all the time, but that may change. My business (the tree work portion) centers around trees that are not attainable via boom truck.

I have an outdoor wood furnace, so I use the wood that isn't merchantable as firewood. It would be a goal of mine (and hobby) to utilize more of the wood for cabinetry, furniture, etc.

Open for suggestions...

I don't know what I did without our chipper. I had a vermeer 6" throat chipper don't remember the number and then I got a Vermeer 1230 with 12" throat and love it. Don't take this wrong but to me renting is throwing your money away. I was there, cheaper than owning your own and no upkeep but if you can buy one. It will save you so much time and money.

As for the Skid steer, I guess my opinion is that not every job is the same. If you have the ability get one big and one small, do it. I use our small one for the in town, between houses, back yard jobs. I use the big one for the large easy access jobs and the ones that I want to save large long logs. The large one enables you to use any attachment you want. Just pick it...grinder, bushhog, shears. Don't matter. I look at it as you probably don't own only one chainsaw, you have different sizes for different logs.

On the other hand if you don't want two, shoot for the middle size

(side note: My wife probably hates me for my theory... money is easy come easy go! :p )

I would go big before small. The jobs I can't get a large skid steer to are few. The jobs that require a larger machine are more common. With a mid machine you give up the access advantage and the lift capacity. I'll eventually buy a mini skid (probably a 463) to have the flexibility to handle any job. Additionally on larger jobs you have two skid steers (enclosed cab to protect operator, SAFETY) to make them much easier and productive. The walk behinds I've run (bobcat and ramrod) don't have the lift height or capacity to be very productive when compared to a reqular skid steer.

Always appreciated

Thank you for your comments. I don't go into anything without cross-examining myself three or four times before even metioning it to my wife!

There was a good article on renting in TCIA magazine, maybe Arborist News, I don't remember, but anyway it discussed the merits of renting and when much work is in difficult to reach places, doing a number of jobs and picking it up and loading it with a grapple into a truck works the best versus spending the time chipping.

I am not a mechanical person. So, for a person like that, renting can be the correct thing to do as three times the money is earned doing more work instead of figuring out how to maintain something.

I digress. I'm just old enough to have learned most things the wrong way (you know, manilla rope, make your own saddle, work ten times harder for about 1/2 the pay). I didn't have a dad, uncle brother, friend in the business - I just started watching guys doing tree work and always loved to climb and over the course of 25 years have gotten better and much safer.

Now, with three sons, I am doing what I didn't have; giving them the opportunity to work for themselves (or me) at something they may love. (One already wants to go with me all the time, but he is only eight.) Anyway, I don't want to re-invent the wheel, just ride it!

I'll have more questions on this topic, but I have gone to the websites now, and will be able to make a smarter decision based on what I do because of your helpful comments.

Thanks again.

Gopher, I use a small NewHolland 455 i think (cant remember model for sure) John Deere 7775 which is actualy a New Holland frame, John Deere decals and engine with a 66 inche grapple. The grapple is awsome. I've just purchased a used dingo late 80s model, havent used it yet so i'll let ya know how it works. As for you helping your kids start, or get in the business I think thats awsome. Tells me alot about you, I've also learned the hard way. I have some bad arthritus to prove it. Good luck.

mini skid

we have a t-300 enclosed cab. and a 873 but use a mini mt-52 track machine lifts about 550- 600 lbs.this machine will pass a36 inch gate to get in the back yard.it has a deisel eng.but does not lift like a 463 in hgth. :)

Used the new vermeer mini skid w/ tracks today. Nice machine!!!!Big price tag. Sure made moving some large wood easy. As well it gave the grcs a hand with giving a little exta pull.

Last edited:
Id personally get a wheeled unit, they do less damage to the turf.
Put on some foam filled tires and never worry about getting a flat.

Treejunkie,
Do you ever use wedges to tip a tree over? I'm not breaking your shoes but it is a very reliable and predictable method, and also takes less time and equipment.

My $.02

I was using wedges. However being that we already had the grcs out, skidder onsite, and the ropes already out it was a no brainer to utilize them. In this particur situation i think the equipment was at least partially needed.

A little hard to see in the pic but there wasn't much room between the back porch and the dogwood tree. When it landed we ended up with the top in the middle of them with about 5-7 on each side. I wouldn't have felt comfy trying this tree w/ only wedges. There was a touch of back lean and too much at risk if things went wrong.

Sorry about the oversized pic. I didn't realize. Thanks for the resize treeco

tophopper said:
Id personally get a wheeled unit, they do less damage to the turf.
Put on some foam filled tires and never worry about getting a flat.

I'd have to disagree. The unit today did very little turf damage and left zero ruts. The conditions were pretty soft as the past two days we've had rain and snow. I don't think a wheeled unit would have performed as well.

All wheeled units i've used in the past have left horrible ruts.

However they do say that it's all in the driver.

Where was that job?? Are you gonna get the vermeer?? I used a thomas the other day, check em out, they're a decent bit cheaper.... Used a dingo a bit the other day too, moved about 11k#'s of wood, and very little turf damage, the unit had tracks. I'm gonna look for a 453 bobcat, that's what I want.

Back