Mini-tour of a Stihl factory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XJWoody

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
On the show "How it's Made" last night (Science Channel) they spent 15 min on "modern lightweight chainsaws" at the factory outside Stuttgart (Esslingen maybe?)

It was pretty brief, but showed some alloy casting, annealing, chain-making & cutter sharpening (Boron-Nitride tooling) and assembly-line work. I will say that they could have spent the whole 15 minutes on two fine frauleins busy at their work stations :cheers: The kickback testing station was neat.

They also showed a German ranger guy doing some saw work... couldn't swear to it, but it looked like he was using a 361.

Edit -> It was also the show that had the Airbus factories if that helps find it.

Last edited:
Thats cool you must have stumbled onto that show. I like it but like you say they just do quickies of stuff. Ill have to watch for it.:cheers:

Click on the link, click the tab for "household items", then scroll down to chainsaw. Then you'll see how a plastic clamshell horizontal cylinder Echo is made.
http://science.discovery.com/video/how-its-made.html

Thanks for the link. That show makes me a little bit nuts: they will spend a great deal of time on something, like the molding of one part (in this episode), then magically have a completed, assembled two-stoke engine to install in it ("then the two-stoke engine is installed in place"). HELLO?!? where did that come from? Can you show us how that is assembled? How it is made?. . .

"Then they do this. Then they do this. Then they do . . ."

Then they imply that all similar products are made the same way. 'How a chainsaw is made', versus, 'How an Echo chainsaw is made'.

Sorry, just ranting/venting on a pet peeve. Would still like to see the STIHL footage though.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back