Minnesota,Wisconsin,Iowa, Dakotas GTG's thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a good time cutting yesterday. We got 12 cords cut, split, hauled and stacked in Bob's wood shed. We started about 8:30 and were totally done by noon. Its amazing how much you can get done with a good group of guys.
Now we need a group like that at Denny"s!

Mornin Jim!

It's a fast warmer though - up to 5 above already. The old Massey's plugged in and I'm gonna try to get to the woods today. There are a few bare spots showing in the fields, but I'm betting the drifts are still gonna be deep in the lane.

This cat's got some cabin fever, and some time out in the sun will do me good, even if it feels like January.

Just heard last night the DNR is shutting down the cutting and hauling of oak in mid April to try to help stop the spread of oak wilt around here. That doesn't leave much time to get the amount of wood needed to heat our homes for next year. The cutting ban will lift in July but I hate cutting in the heat and bugs.

Just heard last night the DNR is shutting down the cutting and hauling of oak in mid April to try to help stop the spread of oak wilt around here. That doesn't leave much time to get the amount of wood needed to heat our homes for next year. The cutting ban will lift in July but I hate cutting in the heat and bugs.

That's been recommended practice for a few years at least, and cutting oak on Polk Co. forest land has been closed during that time for several years, at least back to '12 when I had a permit for up there.

Do you know if the ban applies only to DNR land, all public land, or all (public/private) land? A complete ban would probably wreck a lot of local loggers.

Way to much snow in the woods yet. I went to my land in Clintonville Wi to do some stand trimming and recover the trail cams. The good news we got the trial cams and they were still working . The bad news is its past the knees in most areas and up to your ba..s in other areas . no trimming for awhile , but there is brown ground showing in the fields.

Beefie

Way to much snow in the woods yet. I went to my land in Clintonville Wi to do some stand trimming and recover the trail cams. The good news we got the trial cams and they were still working . The bad news is its past the knees in most areas and up to your ba..s in other areas . no trimming for awhile , but there is brown ground showing in the fields.

Beefie

Much the same here. I made it to the woods, but fought most of the way there. Lots of crust on top though, if it stays cool a few mornings I might just hike in with a saw and tip a few. I only broke through a couple times right next to a tree, I can walk on top fairly well. Gonna need a little cooperation from mother nature before I can skid em back out though.

Andy was sayin wouldn't it be nice to have a board meeting on Friday night when JD's back? been a while, fellers...

We checked out a place called The Northern Lake Tavern & Grill (used to be Trappers) in Chisago (20 min from Osceola & Hugo, 30 from NB/Harris, 45 from Grantsburg) - super great bar burgers, decent prices, they've got good atmosphere with some nice long tables- we were thinking when we were there that it might be a good place for an AS board meeting. Any takers? (haven't heard back from JD yet, but thought I'd put it out there...)

How far from Appleton? When is JD coming home? Charity Cut?

Beefie
Haha probably still a but of a drive for you, friend... JD is home Thursday, just heard back from him-he's game for Friday night AS council meeting... Also just talked to Barb- sounds like there's quite a but of snow yet, but they just got 4 loads of wood, so they got lots of cutting to do! We'll have to get something on the calendar.... If this location suggestion doesn't work, throw another out there! :)

Sent from north of hwy 8

Back