mix oils

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArborServe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new here and could not find this thread- though I am sure it has been asked many times in the past. I am not a Pro but will be doing significant firewood processing this year.

I just got a new saw after learning about it on this site- a Poulan Pro 330. I got fresh 93 from Shell (also a recommendation from this site) and used the "stock" mix that came with it. I have synthetic (I think it is called Pro Mix) that I use in my other 2 stroke tools but wanted to use the manufacturers recommendation to start out- although I know it is not always the best practice.

OK, to the question:

1) Is there a preferred brand or type of mix that people recommend?

2) Also- that "Pro Mix" I use states that one mix can be used in all 2 stroke engines at its 2.8 oz per gallon ratio. I have not burned up anything yet but I have only used it in my blower, weed whip, old chainsaw, and greens mower.
:greenchainsaw:
Thanks- what a great resource site!

Welcome to the site. I personally use Stihl or Huskey mix oil. You'll hear all kinds of stories. The bottom line is use a good two stroke mix oil. They are all for the most part good, some have additives the others don't but like I said they are pretty much the same.

I am new here and could not find this thread- though I am sure it has been asked many times in the past. I am not a Pro but will be doing significant firewood processing this year.

I just got a new saw after learning about it on this site- a Poulan Pro 330. I got fresh 93 from Shell (also a recommendation from this site) and used the "stock" mix that came with it. I have synthetic (I think it is called Pro Mix) that I use in my other 2 stroke tools but wanted to use the manufacturers recommendation to start out- although I know it is not always the best practice.

OK, to the question:

2) Also- that "Pro Mix" I use states that one mix can be used in all 2 stroke engines at its 2.8 oz per gallon ratio. I have not burned up anything yet but I have only used it in my blower, weed whip, old chainsaw, and greens mower.
:greenchainsaw:
Thanks- what a great resource site!

Are you sure you want to ask these questions my son? You will see in the following posts as hell breaks loose!

Many people recommend the Stihl brand 2 stroke oil, but I believe it doesn't really matter what brand as long as it is from a reputable maker(Husqvarna, Klotz, Echo, Mobil2t... whatever).

2) Also- that "Pro Mix" I use states that one mix can ...
Usually mix ratios stated here are 1:50 or 1:40(between these 2 there is no significant difference in use).

Some people like Gary will recommend 1:16 or his personal favorite 1:8 (but I wouldn't recommend that!).

Help me someone! Gary's comming after me!

Last edited:
I forgot Welcome to this site!

Some recommend synthtic, some say it is only for the pros. I don't know but wait till Gary comes here and you will get the knowledge pretty quick.

Isn't "all Hell breaking loose" park of what these forums are all about? As long as it is not a personal attack- and this site seems to do a good job at that.

I tend to run less oil in the mix rather than more, the oil burns hotter. But, chainsaws are not my strong point. A weed whip or blower that runs at constant high rev would melt down in no time.

I look forward to the debate!

No debate here... this is the 9,000,000,000th time this has been asked... :)

Use good quality mix oil at 50:1 or 40:1 with 89 or higher octane fuel. You'll be fine.

I run Stihl Ultra at 50:1 and 92 octane in all my saws. Whether 40 years old or 4 months old... no probs...

Gary

I looked through the threads but did not see anything. I could not find a site specific search, just the generic Google search. Any help is appreciated so I do not waste peoples time when they could be helping others out.

40:1 it is with synthetic.

No debate here... this is the 9,000,000,000th time this has been asked... :)

Use good quality mix oil at 50:1 or 40:1 with 89 or higher octane fuel. You'll be fine.

I run Stihl Ultra at 50:1 and 92 octane in all my saws. Whether 40 years old or 4 months old... no probs...

Gary
Gary, you should quote that answer for your sig. :)

Welcome to the site ArborServe, it's kind of an ongoing joke around here when some ask an oil question.
heres some reading for you: http://edj.net/2stroke/jennings/oilpremix.pdf

I looked through the threads but did not see anything. I could not find a site specific search, just the generic Google search. Any help is appreciated so I do not waste peoples time when they could be helping others out.

40:1 it is with synthetic.

Check posts 2 and 21 on this thread for links.

Thanks for the links! I like reading all of the opinions but going through each post takes a long time. Good information here and should keep me busy for a while.

Happy cutting!

OK, I found the search tool. I really did not notice the menu bar before. I should be familiar wit vBulletin sites by now...

Back