Mixing grease with graphite? A good idea?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anybody any experience with that idea?

I know everbody laughed at the idea of using copper antisieze on bearings ( I didn't know that it was a bad idea) but is this a good idea.

I prepher to ask the more experienced before ruining my equipment.

7sleeper

Whats wrong with just using grease?

Your Idea probably wouldn't hurt anything I just doubt anything would be gained. Kind of reminds me of slik50 (mixin teflon with oil) which was proven over and over to be a waste of money.

I know everbody laughed at the idea of using copper antisieze on bearings ( I didn't know that it was a bad idea) but is this a good idea.

7sleeper

I don't think theres any point in mixing the 2, they work differently.

I'm lazy... ;)

why don't you just come out and ask what you are going to be using this grease concoction on. I'm sure there are enough oil heads around here to tell you what is best for your application.

Geesh, just use the best grease you can find. No need to make your own....

It's on the market

It sounds like you are talking about mixing your own brew and I have no idea how that would work out but I know there is a commercial version of graphite grease on the market. The military has used it for years in certain applications. Just my nickels worth....was 2 cents worth but with inflation and all....

Graphite up top a certian point is fine but after that it can cake up or deteriorate in high temps or pressures.......I doubt your gonna imporve much in the line of oils or greases over what the factories now produce, and most often its going to be counter productive.

call me overprotective but I like to secure my investments in the best way possible and I belive the investment in approx. 10$ worth of grease and whatever will secure my 2-300 $ investment in a new chainsaw or whatever.

Thank you AS for your input!! I didn't know that it might be counterproductive to mix substances.

an old saying : not everyone needs to invent the wheel new!!

7sleeper

why don't you just come out and ask what you are going to be using this grease concoction on. I'm sure there are enough oil heads around here to tell you what is best for your application.

Geesh, just use the best grease you can find. No need to make your own....

I guess it might just be from sleepdeprevation while working nightshifts at the ward.

I was thinking of dismantling the new saw when I get it and covering the parts involved with friction, like bearings and whatever.
I know not a great plan but as I said above losing money to neglect is a waste.

7sleeper

7sleeper

graphite will eat away at aluminum. And it is not a good idea to mix stuff in with lubricants as it may react with another additive in the grease. There is already a lube specially formulated for every application out there, just find the wright one for your application. by the way what is the application?:cheers:

I guess it might just be from sleepdeprevation while working nightshifts at the ward.

I was thinking of dismantling the new saw when I get it and covering the parts involved with friction, like bearings and whatever.
I know not a great plan but as I said above losing money to neglect is a waste.

7sleeper

You want to GREASE your saw bearings?

That will destroy it real fast. Just because you can put grease on it, doesn't mean it needs it.

Just follow the instructions in the book and maintenance manuals, keep the filters clean and run fresh mix and proper ratio of high quality oil.

Your mix lubes the bearings DO NOT PUT GREASE INSIDE YOUR MOTOR

OK!!!! Another thing I didn't know.

:newbie:

and now you can all start :deadhorse: :deadhorse: me

:greenchainsaw:

7sleeper

Last edited:
You want to GREASE your saw bearings?

That will destroy it real fast. Just because you can put grease on it, doesn't mean it needs it.

Just follow the instructions in the book and maintenance manuals, keep the filters clean and run fresh mix and proper ratio of high quality oil.

who reads instructions?? :monkey: :monkey:

THANKS TO ALL !! for another insight.

7sleeper

Graphite fortified grease is actually quite common. It's typical application is permanent mold casting of aluminum. The graphite is for elevated temperatures, I have seen formulations rated for service in 1000 F temps.

The only thing I used grease for in a two cycle engine was to hold needle bearings in place. After that I washed the grease out with mix gas. I find that grease is used a lot in low speed high torque machines.

Latest posts

Back