Mixing oils

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesmith

tree hugger/cutter
Reaction score
Can you mix oil brands?

For example Mobil 1 ester synthetic with Stihl ultra

Anybody tried?

If so, did your saw immediately explode or...

in a pinch i have been a little short on 2stroke oil to make a 2 gallons mix and have mixed husky and stihl syn oil and nothing happend ....i dont know

Mobil is yellow/clear, Stihl ultra is green, it's a little disconcerting to see clear fuel in a fuel tank. A few people on the net have said they add dye to 2t oil, why not just add a little coloured oil...? If somebody says definitely "no, you're an idiot" then no worries.

To clarify, I'm thinking can I add a litre/quart of coloured stihl ultra hp to a gallon of Mobil synthetic 2t.

I'm just curious, it's no big deal either way

I had a look online, they're both full ester synthetic as far as I can tell

Stihl Australia has just started selling hp ultra but it's not cheap

mix it and go. If you are worried about it make it a little richer. If your saw is ported or has major mods, I would be a little more hesitate. I would probably still mix the oils in a pinch.

I have done it before if I ran just a little short while mixing up a gallon... IIRC it was Champion and Husqvarna oil or something like that.. I would assume that they are made like automotive engine oils, and are miscible, even if mixing synthetic and dino..

I wouldn't do it every day, but it'll get you by.

I have done it before if I ran just a little short while mixing up a gallon... IIRC it was Champion and Husqvarna oil or something like that.. I would assume that they are made like automotive engine oils, and are miscible, even if mixing synthetic and dino..

I wouldn't do it every day, but it'll get you by.
I wouldn"t mix any thing other than like for like ie. syn/syn, semi syn/semi syn, & dino/dino my thinking is the mix ratio"s could possibly be different, so if you did mix syn& dino would the ratio for syn be 50/1 & the dino 25/1 so trying to work out the correct amounts gives me a headache just thinking about it. once mixed the dregs from a bottle of PJ1 with some Ipone strawberry flavor, & the exhaust fumes smelt foul, never again.

Damn glad to see another oil mixing thread. It's been at least a week or so since the last one, and I was beginning to show signs of withdrawl. I hate it when that happens.

Anyways, yeah go ahead and mix oils. Won't hurt a thing.

Once the differing opinions appear, that's when I hit my high. :)

Latest posts

Back