Modded my 361 Muff Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dapper Dan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Pretty easy with the right parts.

attachment.php

Used a Husky shield and screen.

attachment.php

Had to re-shape the shield a little. (little too much curve)

Got the limiter caps off (without ruining them) shaved off the tabs and reinstalled.

Gotta go set the carb (bout 14,000?)

Goodbye Warranty!

Got her set about 14,000

Going to the woods!

OPPS....couple pieces I forgot to put back on!

attachment.php

Last edited:
looks good, but I can't tell if it is the larger 281/288 scoop or the smaller 50/51 scoop? I have the smaller scoop on my 036

Looks too big to me, but.... some guys like them loud.

Nice work.

I was just gonna say, that if it is the big scoop, it might be a littler louder than it needs to be.

The small scoop on my 036 woke it right up, of coarse it had the larger stock side outlet too.

That's part of the problem with the scoop approach. Your hole is now the same size as the covering of the screen, which means the screen is restrictive and as it gets coated with debris, the performance/tuning changes. Screens should be many times the area of the outlet. In your case, the screen is likely obscuring 43% of the outlet even when new (depending on the mesh type..). 7/16 with your mesh isn't excessive, but..

With a scoup, you size the OUTLET of the scoop to be what you need, and make the INLET to the scoop (covered with screen) much much larger.

or
In your case... cut the muffler out as bigs as the base of the scoop, and restrict the outlet of the the scoop to about 0.3 square inches or a little less (same ID area as a 5/8 OD pipe).

Last edited:
see that?

That's part of the problem with the scoop approach. Your hole is now the same size as the covering of the screen, which means the screen is restrictive and as it gets coated with debris, the performance/tuning changes. Screens should be many times the area of the outlet. In your case, the screen is likely obscuring 43% of the outlet even when new (depending on the mesh type..). 7/16 with your mesh isn't excessive, but..

With a scoup, you size the OUTLET of the scoop to be what you need, and make the INLET to the scoop (covered with screen) much much larger.

or
In your case... cut the muffler out as bigs as the base of the scoop, and restrict the outlet of the the scoop to about 0.3 square inches or a little less (same ID area as a 5/8 OD pipe).

this is why i hang around here.
everyday i soak up some more info from this site.
keep it coming.

or

I see.....but ya lost me somewhat.
Should I leave the hole 7/16ths or make it bigger?
Obviously the scoop is staying on, now.

Got to run the 361 and the little Makita 401, that I also did a muffler mod on, today in a big Oak limb that was down. I started in on the small end with the baby Makita and I gotta say...for a cheap little saw....that weighs almost nothing, it's cuts GREAT. Even with the safety chain! I was more than surprised at how well it cut! The 361 cut about like I expected.
I don't mean to sound, in any way, negative bout the 361...I had high hopes for it and it didn't disappoint!
The little Makita was an eye opener, though!

I gather what he was trying to tell you was make the hole as big as possible under the scoop like what ive done below.
And close the outside of the scoop if needed to match the required area of outlet required Ie the original opening and the new one to add up to 125% of port area

oldholenewhole.jpg

Im agreeing with Lakeside on this because of the increase in screen area that reduces restriction. Dapper Dans mod will obviously help a lot, but I like the ability to remove the screen, even though I have never had issues with the screen clogging.
attachment.php

Here is another pic of my Lakeside style mod, just cuz I can...

Latest posts

Back