Modded my 361 Muff Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like mine angled forward much more than that. I find the the back of the gloves can get burned when felling or stumping.

I like mine angled forward much more than that. I find the the back of the gloves can get burned when felling or stumping.

I cut the pipe (makita scrench) at 45 degrees it seems fine!
I didnt want to restrict the exit during a felling cut so the angle is a best compromise IMO

Ok, so I just sold my ms390 and ms290 and put the proceeds ($500) towards a new ms361 ($570) with 20" bar. I really don't do too many removals anymore - mostly pruning so, no need for two mid-range saws.

My question is this - I just do tree work part-time and won't put as many hours on this 361 in a year as most of you full-timers will in a single week. That said, is the muffler mod so important to performance that I absolutely must do the mod if I'm going to get any kind of performance out of the saw?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Ok, so I just sold my ms390 and ms290 and put the proceeds ($500) towards a new ms361 ($570) with 20" bar. I really don't do too many removals anymore - mostly pruning so, no need for two mid-range saws.

My question is this - I just do tree work part-time and won't put as many hours on this 361 in a year as most of you full-timers will in a single week. That said, is the muffler mod so important to performance that I absolutely must do the mod if I'm going to get any kind of performance out of the saw?

Thanks.

No the saw will perform well stock.
The saw is all choked down (muffler wise) to meet EPA standards.
Runs hotter than it needs to in order to burn more exhaust gases thus less emissions.
In theory, with the muffler relieved the saw will run cooler, have more HP and last longer. ( and not sound like a choked chicken)
As an example the older 026's (pre-epa) were rated at 3.5 HP...the newer 260's are rated at 3.2 HP. Only difference....muffler.

Up to you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back