Modded Stihl 046 power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is going to vary on almost each moded saw you see.

Was the builders goal max RPM, or was it max torque?

Take for example the cc's displaced. Depending on if the jugs been cut down or a very thin gasket/no gasket was used two saws will have different cc's of displacement depending on just how far the builder went with that particular mod.

EDIT: the above is a gross error, would change compression not displacement. One should not post when overly tired.

And for HP it is even worse, as there are even more variations possible:

1. How much has the exhaust port been widened? Also how well it's polished. And of course the muffler work is important as well, it has to be well opened to allow full gains of all other work.
2. How much were the transfers raised? Were they also enlarged?
3. Intake port opened & polished?
3. Carb work, or different carb?
4. Timing changes?
5. Piston reworked & lightened? Dome cut piston top?
6. how much the compression is increased means a lot.

There are just to many variables.

But a well balanced job by a top builder will give you a very good running saw. A well modified 460 should eat a stock 660's lunch and can be closer to the 880 than the 660 in cutting times. And the 460 will at the same time be lighter than a stock 460, though not by huge amounts.

Last edited:
About the only time displacement changes is if the bore or stroke is altered.

I figure I can get about 7.5 to 9 hp out of a ported work 046. A racer with pipe and nitro I would like to think could be closer to 20 hp though just for a few seconds.

RPM for a ported work saw will depend on how it is ported but WOT should be in the 14,000 to 15,000 range and it should be able to hold 1,000 to 1,500 more RPM in the wood. a racer is going to be turning 16,000 to 17,000 or more and holding closer to 4,000 more RPM in the wood than a stock saw.

Back