Modified Bar, with Pics, wondering what you guys think?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trzebs13

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I picked a bar that I could afford to screw up first off. But just wanted to try milling some windows in one and see if it would hold up. Build a fixture plate and started milling. If I would have chose one with out a replaceable tip I probably could have spaced them differently and got at least one more window in it. It removed about a half pound off the weight. I'm guessing I'm not the first to do this but thought I'd throw it up here and get some opinions. So go ahead let me have it...

Bar 1.jpg

Bar 2.jpg

looks cool, but will hang in the cut :( they had some holes on 3-25 macs they didnt work well. it looks nice :) this is what I have heard anyway

lts good to see someone thinking outside the square when doing mods. Making your equiptment lighter is something all manafactorers try to achieve. l think your milling looks really well done and nice on the eye. Congrats, l wish l had your ability to do stuff like that.

It looks really good. I wonder if it will flex any if you really lean on it in the cut.

If anything it will help clean up your bench, by now being able to hang the saw from the rafters.

I just did this yesterday and haven't tried it yet. As far as I can tell it really doesent seem to have lost much or any rigidity. I'll go giver her a shot on the pile later today and report back.

looks cool, but will hang in the cut :( they had some holes on 3-25 macs they didnt work well. it looks nice :) this is what I have heard anyway

I wonder if circles or orals with chamfered edges would reduce hang.

Someone a while back got a bar "hollow ground". Perhaps not as light but less likely to snag.

Great work and thanks for sharing.

I know quite a few vintage saws had bars with holes in them but as others have said, I think you'll find it loads up with trash and jambs up in the cut. I hope I'm wrong so please keep us posted!

I just did this yesterday and haven't tried it yet. As far as I can tell it really doesent seem to have lost much or any rigidity. I'll go giver her a shot on the pile later today and report back.
Give it a go and see how it works. I have been thinking to do something like that with CF inserts if need be to keep it cutting smooth. Top notch work!

Looks pretty cool. Am interested in seeing how it performs. Nice saw BTW!

If you can fill the holes now with something real lightweight I think it would be slick. No idea what to use or how to do it though. Graphite? Aluminum? Some exotic wood?

Latest posts

Back