Moisture Content in Firewood,,,,,,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShoerFast

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Morrison Colorado, at the base of the Rockies
Is there a way to tell or test the actual moisture content in firewood?
I have about 20 real cords of Douglas Fir and Pine that has been cut green and split and stacked in Augest and September and would like to sell it "if" it cures for this heating season.
I know that there are moisture meters, but it would seem a lot of expence just to check just the outside layer of the wood and not the core. As I have been burning some from these stacks, its starting to burn better from say a couple weeks ago. Still not snowed out of getting to some standing dead, that seems to be very cured (dry) and can sell that as I cut it. But I know that will change soon.
Thanks in Advance!

Wow
Ya see why this site is so adivtive? Thanks!
I just had to , I used both test, by splitting a splinter about the size of a popcicle (so i can use my gun-powder scale) stick and it was touchy were the Fluke probes were connected, but by the chart, it seemed like high resastance (dry) , and close to the same resastance of my well cure wood. So i broke a twig off of a live tree and it didnt matter were the probes were, there is a very low resastance and it fallowed the distance between the propes. (the resastance would go infantity on the dry wood easly) I need to prefect this, but it seems that my micro-wave set at de-frost is drying the wood,,, at least the green twig is getting highter restance!
Way cool!
Thanks

we need to add to this list IE if someone has a moisture meter and they could test some of the woods not listed in the list and post them I myself do not have a meter but I tested some wood I have here with a volt meter and it really does work.

Latest posts

Back