Moisture Meters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tool Shop brand meter at Menards for $12. Im happy with the one i bought so far.

+1 on the MMD4E that Stihl023/5 mentioned. I saw that Tool Shop one at Menards yesterday. I almost bought it just because it's pocket sized. I might yet, and compare readings with the General I have just to see how close it is. 12 bucks is only 3 beers plus tip at the local, and I didn't get out this weekend.

Generally speaking, most old timers who have been burning wood since God was a boy will tell you they do not need no stinkin' moisture meter. And they are right. They know, because they had to learn the hard way what burns and what doesn't burn. It's called experience.

Two groups who should have them are firewood sellers and those relatively new to wood burning.
Sellers need one because when callers ask if your wood is seasoned, telling them it is at 20% moisture content is a lot better than saying of course it is dry, because I say it is. Not to mention the wow factor caused by customer knowing you are high tech!:msp_biggrin: Newbies need one because they do not have the experience that old timers have.

Knowing the MC of your firewood is pretty important for tons of reasons. A little testing with one will tell you how long it takes for firewood to dry in your neck of the woods, how dry your wood burning unit needs wood to be, and other reasons. The main advantage for a newbie is that you will now know, and then when you read really really stupid suggestions about drying wood on this site, you can just laugh and say, yeah, ok, whatever, idiot! :dizzy:

Well worth the few bucks!!

Ted

The wood thats been seasoned the longest isn't necessarily the lowest moisture content.

Since there are many newcomers to wood heating a mm can be a great help!

I have a cheap one that I think I bought at Harbor Freight. Seem to work fine. I'm not sure what the measurement tolerance is.

For me it does help me gauge total drying time....especially red oak. My stacks are in full shade to partial sun so it takes a bit longer for my wood to season. Beside that, I'm an engineer and you know how engineers love to measure things.

Tom

Last edited:
Generally speaking, most old timers who have been burning wood since God was a boy will tell you they do not need no stinkin' moisture meter. And they are right. They know, because they had to learn the hard way what burns and what doesn't burn. It's called experience.

Two groups who should have them are firewood sellers and those relatively new to wood burning.
Sellers need one because when callers ask if your wood is seasoned, telling them it is at 20% moisture content is a lot better than saying of course it is dry, because I say it is. Not to mention the wow factor caused by customer knowing you are high tech!:msp_biggrin: Newbies need one because they do not have the experience that old timers have.

Knowing the MC of your firewood is pretty important for tons of reasons. A little testing with one will tell you how long it takes for firewood to dry in your neck of the woods, how dry your wood burning unit needs wood to be, and other reasons. The main advantage for a newbie is that you will now know, and then when you read really really stupid suggestions about drying wood on this site, you can just laugh and say, yeah, ok, whatever, idiot! :dizzy:

Well worth the few bucks!!

Ted

I have found that the old , experienced guy, burns wetter wood in a non epa stove. Swears up and down how to burn wood, with out regard to the smoke out his chimney, or the creosote in it. This is just my experience in my neck of the woods.

I have found that the old , experienced guy, burns wetter wood in a non epa stove. Swears up and down how to burn wood, with out regard to the smoke out his chimney, or the creosote in it. This is just my experience in my neck of the woods.

I have found that the old experienced buy burns better in a non epa stove. The burning suspenders tend to plug up the flue faster :hmm3grin2orange:

I kind of enjoy wandering around with my little high tech box poking pins into random pieces of wood.

I sold a load of wood to a gentleman who told me that he measured his wood last year the hard! way. By drying the thing out and then weighing the thing again. accurate, but slow.

Aww man. Another gadget to buy:cry:

I have a few people interested in buying a few chords in the late summer and now I'll have to buy one of these to monitor progress and make sure I sell them decently seasoned wood.:sucks: LOL

Good info.

I have found that the old, experienced guy, started out with his dad and granddad, cutting firewood with ax and bucksaw… dragging it from the woodlot using real “horse” power. That experience has also given him patience and a sense of humor so he can just smile and nod when someone tells him, in order to burn wood properly without burning his house down, he needs a chainsaw with electronic carb, 4x4, ATV, splitter the size of a small car, roof and walls to store his firewood, moisture meter, manometer, $2000.oo EPA stove, automatic draft control, no flue damper, thermometer on his pipe, stainless steel chimney, wind directional chimney cap with spark arresting screen, ................................
Then, after smiling and nodding, he can meet the other old, experienced guys at the coffee shop… and they have something to laugh about.

I have the General MMD4E from Lowes for $30.00 works good.

View attachment 274582

I'm hoping you can tell me how dumb I am.

I bought this meter, put the battery in, fired it up and get a zero reading on almost everything I put it on.

I touch it to my arm and get a reading of about 30%. Freshly cut firwood ranges from 9% to 14%. 1 year seasoned wood reads 0%. New 2x4s read 0%. wood siding 0%. Privacy fence 0%...you get the picture.

I made sure it was set on the log setting. What am I missing?

Never really found a use for one as I stay 3-4yrs ahead on my wood stacks but last night there was an add mistake on ebay that was selling one for $1.00 shipped - yes 1 dollar, shipping included. So I got down on that deal along with who knows how many others before they realized the "oops" and changed it to $11.00

It even came with a battery so if it dies right away I can always use the 9volt in something else :)

I have found that the old, experienced guy, started out with his dad and granddad, cutting firewood with ax and bucksaw… dragging it from the woodlot using real “horse” power. That experience has also given him patience and a sense of humor so he can just smile and nod when someone tells him, in order to burn wood properly without burning his house down, he needs a chainsaw with electronic carb, 4x4, ATV, splitter the size of a small car, roof and walls to store his firewood, moisture meter, manometer, $2000.oo EPA stove, automatic draft control, no flue damper, thermometer on his pipe, stainless steel chimney, wind directional chimney cap with spark arresting screen, ................................
Then, after smiling and nodding, he can meet the other old, experienced guys at the coffee shop… and they have something to laugh about.

I toss the wood in the fire box and after a few minutes I look at the end of the wood, if I see water boiling out I say to myself "better open the damper a bit", if I don't see any I say "better close the damper this one is really dry and will burn fast".

John

Back