Monster oak noodling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick2752

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone use the ripping chains to cut rounds into quarters? Are they faster? I have a 57" base white oak tree to cut up. It splits pretty easily but was wondering about buying a chain for that purpose since I have so much to do. Ill take some pics when I get out to it but the limbs alone filled my truck and 18ft trailer, Im down to the trunk now.

No special chain needed

Just lay the chunk on the bark side.. Do not try to rip it from the cut side.. Always make noodles. 30° sharpening angle is great.

Just lay the chunk on the bark side.. Do not try to rip it from the cut side.. Always make noodles. 30° sharpening angle is great.

The man nailed it. :cheers: No ripping chain needed.
Just watch the noodle accumulation inside the chain cover--clear it often
(with the brake on ). Those noodles make great tinder, animal bedding, packaging, throwing with the wind, trail cover, deodorant. :monkey:

If it's anything like the big oak rounds I have been working on, the sapwood splits off pretty easily, the heartwood, a little different story. That stuff is like trying to split granite. With my big rounds I pick away at the edges with the Fiskars until no more will split off, then roll it onto it's side and rip it into quarters small enough to use the hand cart on. Then off to the splitter.

I usually noodle with a chain ground at 25°, it crosscuts pretty good. My buddy ground an old chain at 15° and it really makes the noodles!

If it's straight & splits easily, it's way less time to quarter it with wedges.

Wish that it were so Mike. Frozen oak is a %$#@& to split in large chunks. That's why we quarter it: fast, easy, safe. :clap:
Remember: we're way north of you. :monkey:

Exactly! Cut with the grain and wear it out. It's fun throwing those big noodles. Good thing you've got a stihl, outboard clutches do not like noodles. I just did a huge oak, all knots, glad it's done. Split like hell, wound up with a few forked pieces of heartwood, stringy as all get out. Hope it burns a long time....Lanny

Back