moon phase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry if you missed the irony - unlike others that posted here my point was I did not get on a high horse and say "We feed the world", neither the US nor Oz can feed its own people properly let alone feed the world properly. Several months ago the average size of new houses built in Oz began to exceed the average size of new houses built in the US - this is a sad statistic give that at the at the same time numbers of homeless people per head of population is at our greatest point in recent times.

Last edited:
Whats so bad here...

I'm sorry if you missed the irony - unlike others that posted here my point was I did not get on a high horse and say "We feed the world", neither the US nor Oz can feed its own people properly let alone feed the world properly. Several months ago the average size of new houses built in Oz began to exceed the average size of new houses built in the US - this is a sad statistic give that at the at the same time numbers of homeless people per head of population is at our greatest point in recent times.

All the factory jobs gone bye,,bye overseas....Now we got all this cheap azz crap comin frm 3rd world countrys and alot of people cant buy much except to try to survive....I'm pretty lucky I'm still workin...We used to be the greatest industrial giant in the world,,but I'm prayin this company I work for can stay here for about 20 more years.... Whats so bad my friend,,,there are people workin,,but still starvin,,,jobs that dont pay jack sh*t..The working poor as they are called....I know alot of friends I worry about,,but what can you do....Why I mill,,take my mind off this crappy world news ya hear about...

another thread hijacked by politics - shame on you all and especially you Bob!

to bring it back on track, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the moon phase has some effect on wood harvesting. I know for a fact that the moon has an affect on digging dirt out of a hole. At a certain time of month you wont have enough to fill it in. At others you will have an excess.

In asia everything is done by the lunar calendar - planting to harvest to burning furlough fields. There is a long literary history regarding lunar cycles and farming, and not just related to plants either. I've read several texts describing when a hog ought to be slaughtered according to the position of the moon.

Its not all as mysterious as some of you might think. The fact that the moon exhibits a significant force upon the earth is well understood by anyone with a marine background who has seen what causes springs, neaps and astronomical tides. There's a lot of gravity involved, and if its enough to affect the height of every bit of ocean in the world by as much as 2 to 3 metres in come places, why wouldnt it effect other things as well? This isnt superstition, its basic science on a big level.

Shaun

another thread hijacked by politics - shame on you all and especially you Bob!

to bring it back on track, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the moon phase has some effect on wood harvesting. I know for a fact that the moon has an affect on digging dirt out of a hole. At a certain time of month you wont have enough to fill it in. At others you will have an excess.

That's a new one on me - by how much?

not a huge amount, but enough, and depends on the size of the hole. but its pretty consistent. you need to dig the dirt out onto plastic to really notice the effect otherwise you'll lose some back into the grass/soil. I was pretty surprised when some farmers were telling me about it but i had a go and sure enough.

It's not really all that surprising i guess... how much does all the water in the oceans weigh by comparison? The moon has a powerful enough effect to swing all the water on our planet around quite nicely.

Shaun

Back