Morbark 2070XL Hydraulic Lift Not working

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finksies

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guys,
I have I have a Morbark 12" chipper with hydraulic lift. The lift function as of recently has become super sluggish, or almost not existent. This is something that has just recently come to my notice.

-Machine is a 2004 and only has 220hrs.
-Changed the filter yesterday, and topped off the fluid
-Both drive motors work fine and are responsive
-No leaks that I can see
-Tried cracking the lines, hoping there was possibly air in the system (That's the oil you see)
-I don't have a pressure gauge to check pump output but manual says 3000psi

From my own research I think its probably either the pump not pumping at the correct pressure or Pressure relief valve?

Where is the pressure relief valve, my manual has no diagram but talks about it? Attached are some pictures maybe your guys can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Tom

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).JPG
    photo 1 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • photo 3 (1).JPG
    photo 3 (1).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    846.7 KB · Views: 7
Tom,

You should never fill a hydraulic tank as it's only supposed to be 3/4 full. You never have to worry about air in the lines as the hydraulic cap should be vented. I would contact Morbark at 1-800-255-8839 and ask for the service department. I would check the seals around the cylinder as fluid might be getting around the seals. Your down pressure valve might need to be reset and the overall pressure would 3,000 psi. The down pressure is usually around 700 psi.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

If the feed rollers have plenty of power then its not a pump problem.
Check the relief valve. Those do get out of whack quite often.

Guys thanks for the replies. I should have time this week to tear into the machine and sort this out.

Ok, got the issue sorted out!!!!! So I ordered two cylinders, and replaced one a few weeks ago. To my dismay it didn't make a difference. I got the idea to block off the old cylinder and run just the new one... and sure enough it worked like a charm. So yesterday I replaced the right side, and its working like a dream! Couple of things that sucked....

-The top pins had no grease fittings so I literally had to cut them out. It took many hours and curing to get those dam things out. I might see if I can get a new pin with a fitting built in for the tops since the bottoms have zerks.
-The right cylinder was behind the hydraulic tank/fuel tank. Had to loosen it up to get in there.
-The new cylinders has different size threads for the fitting, so I ended up having to track down and buy new fittings and two new hoses ($200.00).

I tested the cylinders when they were out with my compressor, and sure enough both were leaking by.
r2sK3bO.jpg

AEis5qk.jpg

Latest posts

Back