More 038 mag II questions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshallr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well folks, I have gotten lots of good advice that restoring the 038 mag II that I was given is a very good idea. People just seem to love this thing. I would like some info on it, like how big is it (cc or cubes) and what HP does it produce? I'm told that it will pull a 28" bar, is that true? Will Walker, Dennis or Greffard power tune it for me & what will be the HP then? I found the Walker site and assume that I can email Dennis but how can I get in touch with Greffard? Sorry that I'm such a newby, I'm really glad that I found this site.

Thanks, marshallr

Dennis is Dennis Greffard, who owns Greffard's Saw Shop in Clearwater, Britsh Columbia, Canada. "Dennis" and "Greffard" are one in the same person. You can email him through this board.

Hello, I also have a 038 Mag I bought it brandnew in 1985 when they first came out before the Mag 2 came out I paid 490.00 $ on sale, I have a old sales brochure with some specs. it shows the mag 2 as 72.2 CC 4.4 CI 3.7 kW 5.3 BHP 16-32" guidebar In my opinion the 038 mag has got to be one of the best saws stihl has ever made, I also have 2 044s wich are very close in engine displacement, to me the 044s rev a little higher but don't quite have the low end grunt as the 038 mag. I also think it is a stronger built saw i know it weighs a little more. both are excellent saws

I have a 28" bar on my magII,it pulls it hard with full comp. full chisel,I personally have found I don't like skiptooth on a 28".your 038mag should cut with an 044 no problem,maybe better depending on technique.If you don't have lots of big trees to cut you might think about a 20" with an 8tooth sprocket,that'd cut very fast and take advantage of that lowend torque,lighter too.I've decided against powertuning since the mufflers on these saws are very good,although I did open up but not remove the baffle in mine. if it's just had a topend done making more power by massaging the topend now may not be a good investment,and may put too much stress on a bottom end that's got 100's of hours on it.that's my thinking anyway,I'm gonna get a new saw worked over one of these days.good luck getting it all together,it'll be worth it.

Last edited:
I always ran Stihl bars on mine, it was actually a 27" bar. I believe Stihl goes 24", 27" and 30". I used chisel chain and always had to file down the rakers in order to take advantage of the torque available. I had to really abuse the saw in order to make it bog in a cut.
Bar Burner is correct- The 038Mag was 4.4 cubic inches, same as the 044. I agree that the 038M 'felt' stronger than the 044's. The only shortcoming I ever found was the wimpy air filter setup. I talked about adapting the 044 air filter setup to my 038M, but never looked into seeing if it was possible.

The 038 is the best built saw ever.(next to the 041 )
Now boys dont jump all over me. Its just my honest oppinion.

Oh, I remember reading that the 038 was 3.8 CI, and the 038Super was 3.9 CI. Never ran either of those, but I sure do miss my Magnum! Wanna sell it?:p

treeclimber165 said:
Oh, I remember reading that the 038 was 3.8 CI, and the 038Super was 3.9 CI. Never ran either of those, but I sure do miss my Magnum! Wanna sell it?:p

038 Super is 4.09 CI, have one and also a Mag II, Super will cut with my 440 all day, the 038 Mag II will almost outcut my 460, not quite but its close. Excellant saws.
Van

treeclimber,
I have a 038 Magnum that I'm thinking of selling. I will let you know in the next few days

Considering the post you're replying to is more than 2½ years old, don't expect much...

Obviously the date on the post didn't get his attention so I thought I'd point it out.  That's a positive thing.

What's up your butt lately?

Glen

We're going to be seeing a lot more of this, Dan.  The combination of "similar threads" and "quick reply" features is not a very good one, I think.

Glen

Latest posts

Back