More armchair milling for a while yet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the outer doors weren't supposed to even close at all until the inner cage door was down? Sounds like a bad design or something...

Ahh . . . . you said it . . . . . but the very last thing I want to involve my self with now that I'm heading back to Oz on Saturday is lawyers.

Hope you get to feeling better.
You might want to try Aleve/naproxen sodium, it's supposed to be less irritating on the stomach, from what I've heard.

Thanks Ted the ice packs and beer are doing fine.

Cheers

Hi Bob

Man, sorry to hear about your fingers,that hurts just reading about it! Hope your recovery is not that long, and all heals up to what it once was!
Best of Luck!
Lawrence

Thanks Guys,
Here are some pic of the deadly doors.
attachment.php

attachment.php

So sorry to hear about your injury. That looks really bad. Hope yours heals better than mine from last year. It's still gets stiff and swells after I work. Got my middle finger crushed by dog jaws when one of my dogs got hung in a fence and panicked, she layed around herself like an alligator and got me several times before I got her loose.

If you weren't so far away I'd come and help you move.
Think of the positive side, you'll have all kinds of time for new inventions.
Get better soon!!!

So sorry to hear about your injury. That looks really bad. Hope yours heals better than mine from last year. It's still gets stiff and swells after I work. Got my middle finger crushed by dog jaws when one of my dogs got hung in a fence and panicked, she layed around herself like an alligator and got me several times before I got her loose.

If you weren't so far away I'd come and help you move.
Think of the positive side, you'll have all kinds of time for new inventions.
Get better soon!!!

Cheers phred.

The stitches came out thursday and pain has gone - it's now just the irritation of wearing the splints and bandages for the next 6 weeks.

I'm waiting at the airport flying back back to Oz in with my fingers in new plastic splints. Will have to prolong the agony of not being able to mill for at least another 10 weeks while the tendons reattach. It has been a fun trip up until the fingers got mashed.

Good news is I'm definitely coming back next year for s short visit.

OK - just got called - next post will be back in Oz.

Hi Bobl,
Hope you had a good flight. At least you have kept your spirits up. I crinche at the thought of your hand. Did that mashine not have safety buttons or lasers? Some of the ones I used had a button and a lever, you had to use simultaniously and one had a laser that would keep it from shutting when anything was still in the opening. The real fun starts when you have to retrain those tendons and muscles to do your bidding. I used a soft rubberball for my finger (only one) to exercise. Makes you realize how much you take them for granted.

Glad you injoyed the trip otherwise and are planning to come back. Never made it to Australia when I was younger and now I have too many kritters to take care of to travel.

Bob,

Sorry to hear that you left Canada with such an unpleasant souvenir. Hope you heal up quickly and I am looking forward to hearing about your milling once you are back 'en forme'.

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers phred.

The stitches came out thursday and pain has gone - it's now just the irritation of wearing the splints and bandages for the next 6 weeks.

I'm waiting at the airport flying back back to Oz in with my fingers in new plastic splints. Will have to prolong the agony of not being able to mill for at least another 10 weeks while the tendons reattach. It has been a fun trip up until the fingers got mashed.

Good news is I'm definitely coming back next year for s short visit.

OK - just got called - next post will be back in Oz.

Well Bob, then we'll be expecting some new designs-with drawings and pics! ;):popcorn:

Last edited:
Bob ,must be in the air temp. I could not find the au bar so i ordered a mill from baileys and a bar end for and old 20" bar . Unraping i found the bar end and gonna get it done first. Grabed up a 2 lb dead blow hammer and a short punch. well they dont look nothing like yours but its a pita to pee. you should be HOME soon ?

Bob ,must be in the air temp. I could not find the au bar so i ordered a mill from baileys and a bar end for and old 20" bar . Unraping i found the bar end and gonna get it done first. Grabed up a 2 lb dead blow hammer and a short punch. well they dont look nothing like yours but its a pita to pee. you should be HOME soon ?

Hi John, I had to double red your pot. "Au" is the chemical symbol for gold so you had me confused for a second or two.

Yep I know what you mean about trying to pee. Especially when the zipper needs two hands to get it down. I admit I have have been wearing elastic waist band trousers since the event.

Yeah just got back to Oz about 2 hours ago. I missed the Sydney/Perth connection, fortunately only had a two hour additional wait. Door to door it was a 33 hour trip, not the worst I've had especially as I had 3 seats to myself on the SF-Sydney leg and got the best sleep on a plane I have ever had.

Well, I hope you heal faster than you expect. I've never got my hand that bad, but my arm one time, and my leg a different time, so I know injuries can really throw you off your groove. Within a few weeks you'll be finding ways to improvise and do various things you can;t figure out how to do right now.

I have used those same kind of elevator doors myself, but never got caught in them! I think somebody showed me how they worked and "knowing is half the battle-- G.I.Joe!"

One of my two worst injuries happened when I was interning in Australia (Victoria) I hit a cow while riding a motorbike- broke my leg!

Hand update

It's 9 weeks since this incident and though it might be time for an update.

This is what my hand looks like now.
attachment.php

In some ways it's much better than it looks.
I will lose the finger nails on all 3 of the bigger fingers.
The ring finger looks bad (was shortened by 3/16" by a planer 30 odd years ago) mainly because the nail is very close to coming off so I have been keeping a band aid on it (hence the whitish color). That finger has the most strength probably because no knuckles were crushed on that finger so - it's the one I can still close right down to my palm

The middle finger is the stiffest and weakest. It was the finger that had the top knuckle more crushed that the others and had bones poking through the side of the finger.

Here's how much of a fist I can make with my left hand before pain starts to set in.
attachment.php

This makes it hard to hold anything heavy or apply any grip, for example I still can't open a bottle of soda or wine with my left hand.

Last edited:
Still not pretty, Bob, but I am glad to hear and see you are mending well. Looking forward to seeing your new mill in action.

Just when I was getting ready to go milling again . . . . .

I have had another accident . . . and this is one to laugh and cry about at the same time.

Early Saturday morning around 2 am I get a really bad attack of night cramps in my lower left leg. I get these every now an then but this time the cramps are bad enough to pull a muscle - I even heard it crack! And on top of that the cramp continues. . . . . plus just for fun I also have a flu!

In agony I awaken SWMBO and she stretches my foot and massages my lower leg but it does not seem to help.

In sweating and nauseating agony, I manage to stand up leaning against the bedroom wall and apply the optimum forward pressure on my foot. I stand like this for a few minutes to hold the cramp and then I need to pee.

Still sweating and feeling really sick with the shakes at this stage I hobble/shuffle my way in the dark to the toilet and tripped over the large dog we are dog sitting, and fall head first through an old glass paneled door in our hallway.
201109d1317444830-img_2124p-jpg

The buckled section of metal cross bar circled in red is where the bridge of my nose hit the door and stopped my head going right through the door and probably saved me from any really serious injury.

SWMBO, who also has a bad flu, hearing the sound of breaking glass, feeling nauseous, on hands and knees crawls over to me and when she sees my laying in the door way with bits of glass sticking out of my head. She thinks, "I know first aid I can help", but standing up and helping me out of the doorway and probably seeing all the blood she feels nauseous and like she will pass out so she has to sit down on the floor. I lay amongst the glass for a minute or 2 and now needing to pee even more I crawl into the bathroom about 2 yards away and mange to stand, turn on the light and sit on the toilet, and start to inspect my injuries, wipe away the blood dripping down my face and pull bits of glass out of my head. Fortunately the head cuts are not as bad as they look but I find I have two long cuts on my left arm and hand that will clearly need stitching so a trip to emergency medical care is needed. However, SWMBO will definitely not be driving so I call my son and we head off to Hospital emergency. All this time what hurts the most is the bloody pulled muscle in my left leg and when I hobble into the hospital with blood still slowly dripping off my face I must have looked like a right drunken hobo who has had a bad night with the booze and been in street fight or two.

Now to cut to the chase, the sum total of my injuries are, relatively superficial cuts but requiring 26 stitches on 2 places on my left arm/hand. The multiple punctures on my forehead where I pulled bits of glass out, and two badly bruised rakish cuts across the bridge of my nose, have been superglued closed (see there is a WW link here!)

My nose bridge is swelling up quite nicely which should add to the drunken street hobo look.

All I can say I was really lucky that I did not receive a deep puncture or two or hit a major blood vessel. I was definitely saved by that metal cross bar in the door and my now rather painful nose.

The doctors at hospital emergency were amazed I did all this without any alcohol.

Now I am back home and still finding glass flakes on various places of my body but the pulled muscle in my leg still hurts more than everything else.

We still like the dog very much but at the first available opportunity that door is gone!

Last edited:
You could make a door, but it would need hydraulics to move . I got my right middle finger in between winch and log got 8 stitches out last wed looks good now. Some of that Canadian pine sliced thin finished in oil would work in the door . Ya can't mill like that now its time for holiday and elastic waist pants again ,

Dang, Bob, you really are lucky to have survived the glass door with only superficial cuts.

Seriously, you should never have non-safety glass at low heights where someone could fall into it. A kid I grew up with fell into a glass window while playing football in a yard, a piece of glass pierced his heart, and he only lived a few minutes.

But I admit I got a chuckle out of your story. :biggrin: That's wrong of me, I know.

If it makes you feel any better, I think I broke some bones in my foot the other day. Was unloading milled beams (300 - 400 pounds) from the truck, and dropped one end of a beam on my foot. That prompted some cussing and hopping around on one foot. :angry: I'm among the millions of uninsured Americans, so I'll just hobble around for a few months.

Yikes, take it easy there BobL, will 'ya ???:bang:

One good thing about it is that armchair milling provides the best quality timber, it never checks, it never twists, never warps, or splits...there is never a knot in the wood, and is perfectly clear...it is the worlds most interesting wood...

Last edited:
Back