More Husky internet news

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Oregon most saws are sold with non-safety chains and no one is going to bite the guy that sold an idiot a saw that he went and cut his legs off with it. Sort of like guns here... cannot sue the gun maker for blowing your brains out with one. I was reading here on AS that some places require safety chains on all saws less than 60cc... amusing. I was in Eugene last week and they had RM full kickback chains on all the saws in the shop, right down to the MS170s.

I think that Husky is trying to protect the dealers on the larger saws so they are not undersold on the iternet. O/w there is little inscentive to sell the brand when Stihl and Dolmar and far more protective. I would imagine that the better margins are at the top of the food chain, and not on the baby saws.

interesting about the standard RM chains here. Every saw we order from Mid Atlantic Stihl(and all distributors that are part of Stihl USA) under 62cc gets sent with anti kickback PM1/PMC3, RMC2, or RSC3 chain regardless of whether it's a pro saw or not. And they all come with regular green label rollomatic E bars and not the yellow label ES bars, even the 361's. We don't even get the option of ordering them wit the ES bar. Husky only sells us the low kickback chain with smaller saws too.

At some point, you may decide that time is more important than money and pay someone to do things that you don't have time to do, or pay someone to do things you don't want to do.

Good point, to each his own I guess. At this point I enjoy working on my saws, I get good satisfaction out of fixing them too.

Thanks

Will

Protect Dealers, Damage Company?

Internet sales probably allowed Husky and Jonsered to sell far more saws than if dealers were the sole sellers. Taking Internet sales away may well protect dealers but hurt the company. Then again, we have to wait and see. Frankly, it's just price fixing we are talking about, thank you.

Internet sales probably allowed Husky and Jonsered to sell far more saws than if dealers were the sole sellers. Taking Internet sales away may well protect dealers but hurt the company. Then again, we have to wait and see. Frankly, it's just price fixing we are talking about, thank you.

There's got to be someone left to service the equipment. The typical AS sawhead is not your average customer. To compete with the large internet retailers, you have to be moving a very large volume of saws to discount them to single digit margins and still make any net profit on them. A small or medium sized servicing dealer doesn't have that mobility with their prices. Stihl has done fine with not allowing internet sales, and I think the same will be true with Husqvarna now.

It isn't gonna hurt a friggin' thing. I believe it will boost sales and dealers will benefit from it immensly. All this price fixing and gouging you guys snivel about makes me laugh.

The internet is evil... oh, wait a minute.... then why am I here.:D Awwwww nevermind.:bang:

Gary

It isn't gonna hurt a friggin' thing. I believe it will boost sales and dealers will benefit from it immensly. All this price fixing and gouging you guys snivel about makes me laugh.

The internet is evil... oh, wait a minute.... then why am I here.:D Awwwww nevermind.:bang:

Gary

No No, you have it backwards.. it's the Dealers that are evil. Don't you read AS?:yoyo:

interesting about the standard RM chains here. Every saw we order from Mid Atlantic Stihl(and all distributors that are part of Stihl USA) under 62cc gets sent with anti kickback PM1/PMC3, RMC2, or RSC3 chain regardless of whether it's a pro saw or not. And they all come with regular green label rollomatic E bars and not the yellow label ES bars, even the 361's. We don't even get the option of ordering them wit the ES bar. Husky only sells us the low kickback chain with smaller saws too.

It is an ANSI requirement that saws of <62cc be sold with low kickback chain as original equipment. Nothing wrong with selling an extra loop of non low kick chain with the saw, but they are supposed to be sold with low kick chain. A dealer violating this could get themselves in hot water if the right people come to visit.

minority pricing

You got to remember, altogether here on this site, we are a minority.
For every one person who will never go to a dealer, there are a hundred who do not (or cannot), work on there saws.
I think that Stihl stuck to their guns and it is now the way any major pro saw manufacturer will be going.

ANSI police?

It is an ANSI requirement that saws of <62cc be sold with low kickback chain as original equipment. Nothing wrong with selling an extra loop of non low kick chain with the saw, but they are supposed to be sold with low kick chain. A dealer violating this could get themselves in hot water if the right people come to visit.

Hot water for not living up to an ANSI standard? In Oregun? Who is going to bust the dealers that sell saws with non-safety chains on them? The chainsaw police? Who exactly are the 'right people'? ANSI would have to be some federal jurisdiction... and from what I have heard about the Feds, they are buried in anti-terrorism these days (seriously, and friend at the FBI told me that last summer).

Yup that sums it up. All of the saws at our dealership under 62cc leave the door with low kickback chain on them. We often sell or give an extra loop of non safety(we give customers an extra chain if they buy a case) but the one on the saw is always safety at 62cc or smaller. This is partly because of the ANSI standard, and partly because since we are FORCED to order these saws with safety chain on them from the manufacturer/distributor, we would have a HUGE overload of safety chain in stock that would hurt our bottom line pretty bad. For replacement chain we're about 90% non safety and 10% safety. It might be a bit different if we had the option of getting saws. ie MS361 or 357XP etc. without safety chain, but even pro saws get shipped to us with safety chain no matter what.

Hot water for not living up to an ANSI standard? In Oregun? Who is going to bust the dealers that sell saws with non-safety chains on them? The chainsaw police? Who exactly are the 'right people'? ANSI would have to be some federal jurisdiction... and from what I have heard about the Feds, they are buried in anti-terrorism these days (seriously, and friend at the FBI told me that last summer).

oh, and speaking of the right people showing up. This wasn't with a saw but the same principle applies. We got threatened with severe fines for fixing a Stihl trimmer (FS 85R if i remember correctly) that came in without a guard and we did not replace the missing guard. They can nail you pretty good. Same goes for selling smaller saws without low kick back chain and same goes for fixing a saw without making sure the chain brake is functional too. can't let a saw leave your shop without a functional chain brake unless it never came with one when it was sold.

...and for most sales (most sales are not "pro" sales), it really doesn't matter what chain they have - it cuts wood...

For Stihl, with the move to RSC3 and RMC3 chain, most won't even notice the difference!

Well, if only...

I would like to think that the majority of people in saw shops out there are as responsible as you guys... but in my experience they are not. Same with auto mechanics. Many just do not have the experience, inclination, ability, knowledge or sence to do the right thing, let alone know what to really do in most situations. Some are downright incompetant and deceivers. Like that guy that posted to AS about taking his working saw in to get checked out, and the shop revved it up and fried the engine. "Oh look, its broken, that's the problem! See? The piston does not go up and down..." :monkey:

...and for most sales (most sales are not "pro" sales), it really doesn't matter what chain they have - it cuts wood...

For Stihl, with the move to RSC3 and RMC3 chain, most won't even notice the difference!

I get a kick when a customer tells me he's never run a safety chain on a saw and never will because they don't cut wel and then he brings in 4 RM2 chains for sharpening.

Is Husky going to allow box stores to continue selling their saws? Box stores around here sell the 137, 142, 340, 345, 350, 455 Rancher and Lowes used to sell the 359. I don't think Lowes sells the 359 anymore though.

Remember folks

ANSI makes suggestions
Osha enforces rules

Suggestions are not rules. Thats why the Arborist industry isnt governed. Their are only ANSI suggestions, NO OSHA rules. We fall in the same category as landscapers, the green industry.

..but as a dealer, if you want Sthil to back you in legal action, you had better follow the "suggestions"...

I always do;)

Latest posts

Back