More weekend winter logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch25

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Since we have had a week or so of warm weather, I thought I could get the truck in and cut some wood. Not the case! I was leaving tracks about 2" deep and then the bottom dropped out...bald tires don't help.

2-15-09001.jpg

I got on the phone and called for backup. My mom came over with my old truck and she got to learn how to use a yank strap.

2-15-09016.jpg

While I was waiting for her to show up, my daughter and I went and cut a fallen oak "branch"...I still have to drag the rest out of the tree with a come along. 361 with 18" bar.
2-15-09004.jpg

2-15-09008.jpg

I went home for dinner and came back to drag the rounds out in a sled...about 150 yds up hill in knee deep snow. These things weighed as heavy as #150!!! Right at the limit of what I could lift!
2-15-09005.jpg

2-15-09028.jpg

Nice sunset though!
2-15-09025.jpg

All split up...

2-15-09036.jpg

Thanks!

Never thought I would say it, but being around these old trees just makes a guy wonder what they have seen! Just that branch I cut was probably around 70 years old were I counted rings...

There some VERY nice oaks in this grove were I am cutting! Once the snow clears, I should be able to get enough dead/dry wood to last me for the whole year next winter and still give away a few loads to boot!

Nice to see someone else besides me uses a jet sled. I drag mine out of the garage with my saws, come-alongs, chains, ax, gas, oil, wedges, etc. and lift it into the truck. It works great, even when there isn't any snow, for hauling out rounds. I wish I had some oak around here. I have plenty of ash, but I would like the give the saws a run through some nice burr oak.

Nice to see someone else besides me uses a jet sled. I drag mine out of the garage with my saws, come-alongs, chains, ax, gas, oil, wedges, etc. and lift it into the truck. It works great, even when there isn't any snow, for hauling out rounds. I wish I had some oak around here. I have plenty of ash, but I would like the give the saws a run through some nice burr oak.

Nothing around here but ash on the river bottoms all within a mile of my house...flood plain stuff. I'm going to try some of that this weekend for a buddy to get him ready for next year. This stuff is all by my mom's (grandparents old lake place) about a 35 minute drive away right inside the MN lakes country. I am VERY fortunate to have 3 generations of contacts in this area! All the trees are either burr oak, or poplar, some birch and cottonwood...LOTS of oak...not to mention I am fortunate to know a lot of people in the are who aren't wood cutters!

Nice pics! We had the same situation here 2 weeks ago before the rain,I made the mistake of thinking I could get my pickup out on the golf course,and same thing happened.I was lucky to get it out with a shovel,and a little back n forth action.I had a loaded spreader,and plow,usually it goes right thru it at the weight i was,but it just sunk thru layers of ice/snow.
I have it happen on the skid steer sometimes,but you just use the bucket to get yourself out,and keep going.

You need a snowmobile to pull that sled, 150 yards is a long way in knee deep snow! I got some wood out with the snowmobile this weekend, absolutely ideal conditions, I could pull right up beside any tree, load the sled and take off no problem. I got about 2 weeks worth of dead elm and ash for my owb in about 3 hours.

You need a snowmobile to pull that sled, 150 yards is a long way in knee deep snow! I got some wood out with the snowmobile this weekend, absolutely ideal conditions, I could pull right up beside any tree, load the sled and take off no problem. I got about 2 weeks worth of dead elm and ash for my owb in about 3 hours.

I have a couple of sleds...but I can't get real close to this tree and have some fences to go through...by the time I get done messing around with it, it's just easier to pull it by hand. I came back on Sunday to get another truck load and had a sled...ended up towing by hand again.

Plus I want to keep my footprint (sound and presence) to the homeowner at a minimum. There is ALOT of wood at this place that I want!

Thanks for the pic's and stories, this is great! I think I need to start a thread, I am embarresed to say, I got stuck, and I mean STUCK!:cry: But I guess I could show you here? Th problem is, the pine I got was crap!

I'm jealous about the sleds, I havn't piloted a sled in 20 years! I love those machines!:clap::clap:

Latest posts

Back