More wood ID's - this is a strange one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw18x

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all

First, I gotta say this forum is great. It's my first year cutting (and burning) and I'm trying to learn more all the time. I really appreciate all the feedback and posts, especially on wood ID's.

I picked up two loads from the tree service today. It was a mixed batch of wood and included some stuff I'd never seen before. I'm breaking this into 5 groups: wood "A" has a grain similar to some of the locust I've seen before, and seems equally dense. I took pictures of 3 pieces that look similar, but then there was a fourth branch piece with the same type of grain but a smoother bark that reminds me of a cherry tree we used to have in the yard growing up.

Wood "B" is lighter, I can't tell if it's a soft wood or hard, but there's several more pieces I could go back for if it's worth it. All of the pieces are straight logs, perfectly round.

Wood "C" and "D" came from the same pile. My first thought was silver maple ("D"), I cut down what I thought was a silver maple in the spring and it looked a lot like this, fairly smooth gray/silver bark, white wood. But then some of the pieces in the pile had a rougher bark ("C" photos). Also, I noticed some drops of a deep purple sap on these pieces, with red fibers beneath the silver surface. It was average weight, not overly dense, but not exactly light like a soft wood. I'm trying to figure out if these are two types of wood or if they came from the same tree.

Wood "E" is pretty light, seems to be a softwood, but there's a lot more of it up there if it's worth burning. I lucked out and have some pics of leaves on this one, I'm sure that will help with the ID for you experienced guys out there.

Now for the really interesting one - never seen anything like this before. "F": there was only one branch piece, and what a strange looking bark on this one. Can't wait to hear what the opinions are on it.

I'm going to post the pics in seperate groups. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Here are my guesses
A-Honey Locust
B-Ash don't know which species
C-Silver Maple
D-More Silver Maple
E-Siberian Elm although one of the leaves remind me of
eastern redbud
F-Sycamore

Last edited:
Here are my guesses
A-Honey Locust
B-Ash don't know which species
C-Silver Maple
D-More Silver Maple
E-Siberian Elm although one of the leaves remind me of
eastern redbud
F-Sycamore

Damn I think you just about nailed them all , but maybe C ,I am not sure if maple or gum?:rock:
The first pic in C has grain like ash or something but the rest look like maple.

Last edited:
looking at the juvenile wood in group A I would say cherry

F is sycamore for sure

Being from the same region or state as the OP, you guys have an advantage in making ID's, there is a good debate going on in another thread about Pin cherry verses Birch. The "Pin Cherry" in that thread doesn't really look anything like the pics in this thread. The only cherry used for firewood I'm used to seeing around here is black cherry, so I really can't debate the Pin Cherry ID.

I cut a cherry a little while back that was obvious cherry... but when I cut it it was white inside... everything else screamed black cherry. I dont know if it was just another variety or if has to do with growing conditions that made the wood lighter.

Thanks for all the input so far. How does siberian elm season / burn? I have an outdoor woodburner so I can afford to be less picky about my wood, but I draw the line with really soft woods and that stuff seemed pretty light. However, there's at least another truckload or two, if it burns halfway decent I'd be willing to go back for more.

Guess I've never seen a sycamore tree - well, it seemed strange to me anyways! Thanks for the IDs.

I would say in order locust is best then ash, sycamore, silver maple, Siberian elm, linden in that order. Siberian elm is mid range wood and I would take it. I smells so even better that you have an owb. I would bother with the linden though very soft wood. Sought by wood carvers for the clear white wood and softness.

For sure none of those are linden/basswood. I've got lots of that - the bark is thicker and looser, and it's reddish underneath the outer bark. Plus it has a very strong smell, not unpleasant but strong. I agree with locust, ash, maple, maple - I have little experience with elm, so maybe, and sycamore.

Show me a picture of juvenile honeylocust bark that has the horizontal marks like the ones pictured....(like on cherry or birch)

Latest posts

Back