Mosquitos and Bugs in the woods...How do you deal with them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a couple of the ear tags for cattle that are treated to keep ticks and fly's off cows. I used to use the ear tagger to "staple" them to the top of my boots. The last couple of times I just poke a hole thru them and put them between the laces and the tounge. It sure keeps the ticks and chiggers off of you.

Put a little sevin dust in your undies, that will keep chiggers and seed ticks off the ole chigger pole.

Just kidding on the sevin dust in the undies, although I suppose it will work.

I use a couple of the ear tags for cattle that are treated to keep ticks and fly's off cows. I used to use the ear tagger to "staple" them to the top of my boots. The last couple of times I just poke a hole thru them and put them between the laces and the tounge. It sure keeps the ticks and chiggers off of you.

Put a little sevin dust in your undies, that will keep chiggers and seed ticks off the ole chigger pole

Just kidding on the sevin dust in the undies, although I suppose it will work.

Dusting the Mutts with Carbaryl during tick season, works as well as dusting horses with it. Works on the chaps too.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Garlic works for me. Eat a lot of it and it not only keeps the bugs away but the salesmen & women too. If you just have to shower or bathe then don't use that fancy store bought girly soap use Fels Napa instead and don't roll that girly crap under your arm pits either.

:D Al

my area was cleared about 30-40 years ago. All the woods are full of skidder trails some 2-3ft deep so there is tons of stagnant water. all I do is wear long sleves and a bug mask and maybe add alittle extra oil in the gas mix!

greatoutdoorsdepot_2157_114058288

This stuff seems to do the best for me as long as you don't sweat it off. Also, mosquitoes are attracted to bright colors. Browns and khaki colors are the best to wear.

Believe it or not.... up here I use dryer sheets in my collar to keep the gnats away

Damn it's gotten real hot early this year. Several days already past the century mark and it's just the begining of June. Ticks seem to be worst this year than I've seen them in a while. No skeeters to damn dry. :givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

long sleeves and just keep working and sweating... as soon as you stop, they have you...

worst part it trying to sleep at night and scratching yourself off to sleep, but still better than sitting in an office.. :)

Damn it's gotten real hot early this year. Several days already past the century mark and it's just the begining of June. Ticks seem to be worst this year than I've seen them in a while. No skeeters to damn dry. :givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Gonna be a ballbusting summer for sure.

Before I work in the woods in the summer I have the area gone over by my friend that owns a crop dusting company. Kind of expensive, but there is little trouble with bugs of any sort after he gets done. :D

Mr. HE:cool:

I've been thinking about trying this: Clip-On

Save your cash. Tried a couple a few seasons back, cuz they looked like the ticket. Nothing to sweat off or rinse off when chasing irrigation or flopping around in the mud.

They are absolutely worthless and a complete ripoff.

The stupid thing is made like it was supposed to be kept in a China cabinette, and comes off the belt clip whenever bumped.

The juice in the things also does absolutely nothing to deter skeeters, matter of fact, I think they like it.

I got chewed up bad wearing it each time I wore it, untill I figured to go back to DEET. As a test, I turned it on and placed it right next to our back door and underneath where there were a couple skeeters waiting. They sat still...and then another skeeter, and then another joined them, as they were either drawn to me or the stuff in the clip on.

I even turned the thing on in the truck figuring the build up of repellent would deter the skeeters from entering. Nope.
Didn't even chase off the ones that were already in there.

Wife tried the one I got her while sunbathing on the porch.
Nope. She got tore up.

Both are on the shelf, with two unopened refill packs waiting for me to remember to send them to the landfill.

I reckon a guy would be better off carrying a Tiki torch around.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I take 500mg of thiamine daily. Start every spring and stop around november, and have done so for many years. Dont know how or why it works, but it does. I get bothered very little unless they are VERY thick. Some years it does turn my urine orange(?), I suppose depending on what I have been eating, but it keeps the bugs off.

I'm from way north in MI originally. Lots of big skeeters up there to contend with. Some of the areas we'd cut at we'd joke they were trying to carry you off.

You just use the bug spray on and go to work. You get used to it after awhile

I've never cut firewood in the woods in the summer. Too hot, too much brush, but mostly too many dang Bugs! This is the first year I've got access to my woods with a truck so if the urge hits me to fire up a saw (and I'm sure it will!) I'd like to know some tips for battlin' the bugs.

I don't mind the weeds and sweat but I cannot stand the skeeters,gnats, horseflies and the like. Any suggestions on what works to keep them at bay is appreciated. I live in central Ohio so keep that in mind as it varies from region to region for some of the tiny critters. Thanks for any tips!

Fire up that 2 stroke chainsaw and get to cutting, before long the 2 stroke exhaust will clear out most all of your pests.

Back