Most Dangerous Log Splitter EVER

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grandpa had one of those back in the late sixties. We all just figured on him being a damn crazy hillbilly. (I can say that.....WV,born/bred)

Yes, those showed up back in the late 60s in M.E.N. They came then with a cut off switch you pinned to your clothes in case things went west. Problem there is 'would you have enough time to grab the switch?'. I for sure wouldn't wear any loose clothes around it. I saw one powered with a Brigs on its own towable cart. I tiptoe around one afraid I'll wake the beast up.

I have been told that the trick with the LSD is to jack both wheels. Still seems like asking for expensive repairs long before normal service would call for it.

Harry K

Somehow I dont see this being around long...

Looks like the Darwin award home kit if you ask me...:laugh:

http://www.thestickler.com/index.cfm

Yup. Or at least an honorable mention, if he just gores a leg or, a little higher. (honorable mentions are just given to those who have taken themselves out of the gene pool, but not killed themselves, if you know what I mean).

Just seems like one of those things that works really well until it grabs you and neuters you!:laugh:

Im going to take a serious look at the tractor tomorrow and see if I couldnt rig something up...

Anyone know if it spins CW or CCW?

Pretty sure the PTO on my tractor is CW..a Vehicle in FWD, on the left side, is spinning CCW...hmmmmm

Would be pretty handy too..

1 Person on the tractor to push in the clutch
1 person to feed and remove the logs.
1 person watching with the cordless phone in hand...:biggrinbounce2:

not as bad as it looks

I own one of these, haven't used it in years. Mainly it's hard on your back, because you're bent over most of the time or kneeling. It doesn't seem that dangerous when you're using it. Knots or elm or locust doesn't slow it down. Problems come when a real stringy piece separates but doesn't split. THen the block just rides up the taper and stops against the hub. You have to shut down and get your hatchet. Or saw, if you're a surgeon.
The ground keeps the block from spinning, so you have to get it set up low. A platform or bar to stop the block spinning would be better, as would a PTO on a tractor. The LSD is a problem, they say don't use it on such a rig.
Four of us went in on one way back when (1970?) and it still works, but that's because it probably only split 40-50 cords. Clever, but too hard on the back.
BTW, threads go counterclockwise, left side axle in 2nd gear. Same as a PTO.
Jim

What is danderous about it? Tools are only as dangerous as the operator.

99% of the vehciles manufactured do not have a locker in the rear end most are limited slip. That would make everyday driving more difficult and be hard on rear tires due to the different radius each must travel.. Ever heard the term peg leg.

I took the video of Rick Klebe's splitter in the Turtle Mts. north of town last summer. I have the original brochures put out by the extension service for NDSU. Here is a link to a copy of one. There are still a few in regular use in the area.

http://165.234.175.12/photos/splitter.jpg

The stickler would be good for the rednecks out there with several cars up on jacks hidden in the tall grass of the yard.

Last edited:
What is danderous about it? Tools are only as dangerous as the operator...

I agree with you, to a certain extent. Most people look at my buzz saw and can't believe I operate such a dangerous machine. But I've been around buzz saws since I was 10 years old and I feel I have the knowledge and care to reduce it to a reasonable safety risk. It doesn't mean it is "safe", but then neither is just about anything we do in day to day activities.

Heck, a lot of people look at all my old Homelites and can't believe I dare operate a chainsaw without a chain brake.

Now would I use one of those splitters? Probably not. Though I can think of a lot of ways it could be made to operate in a relatively safe manner and it may even perform adequately as a splitter. I wouldn't put it on any of my vehicles, though.

I wonder if it comes with a new bedside for your truck I would think if it hit a big knot it might get fun real quick !!!!!

If you have never used one you should not coment. I own a stickler and it works like a charm. It will split anything. If you are stupid enough to injur/impall yourself with the stickler then your stupid enough to chop your arm off with a hydraulic splitter. Hell your stupid enough to chop your foot off with an axe. Don`t knock it till you try it. Those that criticize the stickler have never tried it. Don`t be an idiot, base your opinions on facts not assumptions.

Glenn

The FACT of the matter here is that if you get your clothes, hair, or whatever caught in the spin, or god forbid you get impaled, there is no way for you to stop the mechanism from spinning. Even at idle, you're not going to stop that thing from spinning. A car engine just has too much torque. I'm not saying that a hydraulic splitter is a machine without its danger, but at least you're in control of the direction & operation, instead of just leaving your car running and in gear. It looks pretty neat to me, I'd just make damn sure that there isn't anything hanging off that might get tangled in the gearing, or hair, loose clothing, etc.

As unlikely as it would be to get caught in the screw, once it is caught, you're not going to stop it yourself. That's all I'm arguing.

Agreed, yes there is just no way to control that thing, I agree its a neat tool. But I like to be in control of the machine I am using, not the other way around!!

We had something like that on the farm running off a tractor PTO, the pto ran into a driveshaft with a 3 foot round saw blade (no guards) at one end and the screw at the other. It was a mean SOB. And stupidly to add to its ability dad welded some paddles to really make the wood fly.

Was it dangerous, Sure. But you never got complacent with it, a fantastic machine.

We had a Unicorn splitter back in the mid-70's, practically the same thing. It was a 3-pt hitch model, however. The danger was mainly in loose clothing, gloves, hooded sweatshirt stings, etc. You have to be extremely careful how you position the wood so that it wood hit the splitting bar or in this case the ground. If you are a bit off and the wood isn't log enough to hit, you have a spinning log that can easily take off a glove, but could also break your hand. It would split almost all wood efficiently with the exception of stringy or knotty pieces. In those cases many times it would simply bore a hole in it. Then you have to figure a way to get the wood back off. I split a lot of wood over the years with it, but would I go back to it?? No way!!!

Latest posts

Back