Most Reliable Small Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the help.How about the Husky 353 or the Shindy 488?I did look at the 488 and thought the chain tension was hard to adjust,is it just me?

Absolutly nothing wrong with either of those two saws! Shinny makes some wonderful equipment, I think it's a bit dated and heavy, but they run and run and run!!! For an all around saw, I personaly would think the 353 would be a better choice than the 346. I own a 346 and a 350, I am still learning how to properly run the 346, the 350 I just grab and cut, that thing has been beat like a dog and I can't kill it!!
I believe the 488 has the chain adjustment on the front, not the side. It is a little harder to do, but not that much harder. I wouldn't turn down a good saw just because of that.

I went to Husky's web-site and I do like the specs on the 353,but which one,the 353 or 353G E-Tech?Please excuse my ignorance but whats the difference between an inboard and outboard cluth?Which does the 353 have?If I went with the 353 which bar and chain should I get,I want a 16" bar or shorter?Thanks again for all the help.

I went to Husky's web-site and I do like the specs on the 353,but which one,the 353 or 353G E-Tech?Please excuse my ignorance but whats the difference between an inboard and outboard cluth?Which does the 353 have?If I went with the 353 which bar and chain should I get,I want a 16" bar or shorter?Thanks again for all the help.

general thumb rule is that huskies have outboard clutch while stihls having inboard one, but there are some special cases...

now, the next question is do you want heated handles (and carb) or not? if you want heated one get 353G, if not then normal 353...

Since we are talking about reliable. I have to put a vote in for an Echo CS-340 / 346 saw. I have the 3400 and it just flat out always works. They have a CS-360T out now but I haven't seen any feedback on it. The 360 has a bigger cube engine so it might go closer to toe to toe with the Husky and Stihl top handles as far as power.

Now some some people will say the larger models are heavy and they are probably right but the little saws are great little saws.

Now for the record my big saw is a 372xp Husky and my next saw will most likely be a Dolmar 5100 to fill the gap.

Don

last time i used a ms26 had to spend the afternoon felling 4-9" diameter thinnings used it hard,by 5pm the carb was playing up and the exhaust had fallen off........ dont think it was ever the same again!
346! or a 361 or 357 would be my choice never used a 353 so cant comment sounds a good saw though.

general thumb rule is that huskies have outboard clutch while stihls having inboard one, but there are some special cases...

All this models are special cases: 371xp, 365, 362xp, 372xp, 385xp, 390xp,575xp, 570.
But you are right about the smaller ones, and the older large ones...:cheers:

Ha! that tree was about to fall over on it's own... :) :) I hate that lack of hinge wood. But yes, 20in bar 3/8 is "standard" (depends on area still) on 026/MS260 out here.

are ya'll tryin to kills your 026/260's? They must like to buy saws ever few years out there! In this area you can't get a 260 with 3/8". You have to convert it cause all that's available from Mid Atlantic is .325. Here an 18".325 is std on a 260, same with a 270 or 280.

Hard to beat an 026/MS260. I abused one for years and it never let me down. 3/8 RS on a 16" bar. I wish I still had that saw...:cry:

are ya'll tryin to kills your 026/260's? They must like to buy saws ever few years out there! In this area you can't get a 260 with 3/8". You have to convert it cause all that's available from Mid Atlantic is .325. Here an 18".325 is std on a 260, same with a 270 or 280.

13" bar and .325 is standard here......;)

Hay,don't forget about me,which would be the best bar/chain for a 353,for cutting brush and firewood,I'd like to use a 16" bar or less?Thanks again.

Hay,don't forget about me,which would be the best bar/chain for a 353,for cutting brush and firewood,I'd like to use a 16" bar or less?Thanks again.

Several owners, including me, like the .325 .050 narrow kerf (NK) setup on that model.

Bar could either be a NK Husky labelled one, or an Oregon Micro-Lite pro.
Chain is Oregon 95VP or Husky H30 - they are the same chain.

Carlton/Woodsmanpro also offer .325 NK bars and chains, but there have been more mixed reports from the users of these.

Being you're from the east and what you want to do, I think a 50cc will suit you just fine. Since last year I've been using a 5100 Dolmar on our 11 acres, to do exactly what you want to do with your new purchase.

Honestly, I'm done with Stihl after having the pleasure of using the 5100. Now I can't wait for my (mind of it's own :bang: ) Stihl weed whip to finally die so I can go buy a Dolmar whip.

Being you're from the east and what you want to do, I think a 50cc will suit you just fine. Since last year I've been using a 5100 Dolmar on our 11 acres, to do exactly what you want to do with your new purchase. ....

Don't forget the MS361......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :biggrinbounce2:

Several owners, including me, like the .325 .050 narrow kerf (NK) setup on that model.

Bar could either be a NK Husky labelled one, or an Oregon Micro-Lite pro.
Chain is Oregon 95VP or Husky H30 - they are the same chain.

Carlton/Woodsmanpro also offer .325 NK bars and chains, but there have been more mixed reports from the users of these.

I think the 353's we got in last week both came with the narrow kerf set up.

I think the 353's we got in last week both came with the narrow kerf set up.

It is standard here on the 353, 346xp, and all the smaller Huskys.....

The NK bars we get here is made in Norway, but I guess they usually are rebadged Oregon Micro-Lite Pros in the US - not sure though.....:biggrinbounce2:

Honestly, I'm done with Stihl after having the pleasure of using the 5100. Now I can't wait for my (mind of it's own :bang: ) Stihl weed whip to finally die so I can go buy a Dolmar whip.

I hope you are young, it will be another 20 years before that wacker dies:jester:

Back