Move from Stihl MS291 to Echo CS-590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ficek7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright, fellas and ladies, I need some expert opinions here. I have an MS291 that I've had for several years. I set myself down a rabbit hole on this site that has now made me thinking about buying a new CS-590 and moving on from my Stihl. Am I straight crazy, or is this a legit good move? I do moderate firewood cutting for my home and do more for camping and hunting, typically ponderosa pine. Not hard wood, but can be sizeable.

Thanks in advance

I did a search on it as I often do, and the Echo import company here in Smallwoodville says "expired, no replacement item" on their website.
There is a cs-621sx, but at a very different cost, all the Echo saws have increased considerably in cost here lately along with Husqvarna and Stihl.

I am no fan of the MS291, but...what is the problem with your current saw?
Nothing wrong, really. But based on the reading I've done I was thinking about buying something newer (current saw is close to 10 years old) with a 5 year warranty and maybe get a better cutter. The part I'm waffling on is whether it really will be a better cutter than the 291?

Why throw good money at a new saw thats in the same or very similar cc class to run the same size-ish bar, get a 75+cc class saw to run a bigger bar in bigger wood to expand your capabilities.
Similar to my other answer, newer saw, 5 year homeowner warranty and hopefully a better cutting saw.

Similar to my other answer, newer saw, 5 year homeowner warranty and hopefully a better cutting saw.

Well, then...sure, the Echo will pull a similar bar somewhat better than the 291. It will be new and have a bit more displacement.

And, the warranty.

I would caution you on placing a lot of faith in the warranty. It seems, I read a lot of posts where guys get hosed regarding warranty support. I am sure it would help to buy your Echo from a servicing dealer.

Roy

Similar to my other answer, newer saw, 5 year homeowner warranty and hopefully a better cutting saw

New saw envy, I would keep the 291, put a shorter bar on it so its lighter and cuts faster. like say a 16" and get a larger class of saw (28"+ bar capable) so you have a assortment of tools to cut bigger wood and felling and the smaller saw for everything else. You can always get the new echo if the 291 actually wears out or really breaks. You can turn around and sell the 291 for about 300 bucks after 10 years of use, the echo will be worth 250 bucks as soon as you walk out the door and 200 bucks once its used for a year. There is a reason for this.

That echo will still be running strong after 30 years of homeowner use with proper care. I agree with resale value. Just like Harley vs Yamaha, Toyota vs Chevy. Just because the resale is higher doesn't necessarily mean it's better. 291 is still a plastic case saw and that echo is magnesium crankcase and adjustable oiler, pro saw features at home owner saw prices.

I cut firewood for personal use. I use my 50 cc (Husky 450) for nearly all my cutting over my 60cc (Stihl 390). Less weight. If I was to get a new saw for firewood it would be Echo 4910(50cc). A professional saw except for a few small parts. Lightest in class and very good power. Good price.

I cut firewood for personal use. I use my 50 cc (Husky 450) for nearly all my cutting over my 60cc (Stihl 390). Less weight. If I was to get a new saw for firewood it would be Echo 4910(50cc). A professional saw except for a few small parts. Lightest in class and very good power. Good price.
I've been wanting one of those too, but I have to refrain. I've been out of work a couple weeks taking care of my wife. I don't need it, I just want it . I already have a Husqvarna 545 and an old 50.

I've been wanting one of those too, but I have to refrain. I've been out of work a couple weeks taking care of my wife. I don't need it, I just want it . I already have a Husqvarna 545 and an old 50.
You have an old Husky 50? So do I. Just checked. For some reason, I list it in my signature as a 51 and I restored it early last spring. I took it out just last week and started it and this saw ran beautifully. I recall I had to replace a few cheap parts that were a bit hard to find, but that's about it. I intend to use it ASAP.

Note: we should not hijack threads, but we may have just done it. Forum, please forgive us.

You have an old Husky 50? So do I. Just checked. For some reason, I list it in my signature as a 51 and I restored it early last spring. I took it out just last week and started it and this saw ran beautifully. I recall I had to replace a few cheap parts that were a bit hard to find, but that's about it. I intend to use it ASAP.

Note: we should not hijack threads, but we may have just done it. Forum, please forgive us.
I bought mine new in 1986. Still runs good. It was my only saw until around 2002.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Darn it, now I'm thinking about the 4910.

CS 4910 is $120 less than the pro model CS 501P and it's the same saw. Same everything except some color, the handle, and a few non consequential small parts.

Latest posts

Back