Moved to next section - new landing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwilly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Moved to the next section on the big lot - fixed up an old town road to get in.

Put the landing in today. Still figuring out the best layout. Here's some pictures.

View attachment 310218View attachment 310219View attachment 310220

Sent a load to the mill last week that I scaled at 7400bf, 43 logs on the truck, picked up the check and scale slip on Friday, 5475bf and 42 logs. Somehow a 14'x24" log went for a walk and the scale stick measured at least an inch smaller than mine.

What all kind timber is that willy? You guys cutting with chainsaws or processor? Looks good, Thanks for sharing! :msp_thumbup:

We are cutting white pine with chainsaw and cable skidder. My son cuts and skids and I cut up and deck the wood on the landing. We are a low overhead operation, mostly working weekends. We just moved off an adjacent 10 acres lot where we cut 92,000bf of pine. There is a lot of pulp on this section. Landowner likes the way we do it.

I was going to guess white pine, but had rather minimize my own embarrassment :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeh, personally I wouldn't have any thing other than a cable skidder or a team of horses on my property. The grapple skidders just run too much stuff over...and you really can't avoid some of the damage no matter how hard you try.

:msp_thumbup:

I was going to guess white pine, but had rather minimize my own embarrassment :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeh, personally I wouldn't have any thing other than a cable skidder or a team of horses on my property. The grapple skidders just run too much stuff over...and you really can't avoid some of the damage no matter how hard you try.

:msp_thumbup:

env. certification auditor to self and boss:

"and in case you ever have a sub, say hire a 440 to wiggle waggle some stems out of a little unit, they will be under the certification"

Us:
"Wiggle waggle?"

Boss:
"we don't wiggle waggle"

Just make your roads straight and the damage goes away. Good big roads means less roads. less roads means less disturbance. everyone wins.

Substitute "skid trail" for "road" at will

We cut the big pine in half (usually 50') so they will get around the bends better and always leave bumper trees till the end. The straighter the roads the better so I usually go in before the cutting starts and layout the main roads. Often we bunch individual stems to the side of the main trail and pick them up when we have a light hitch. Some of these pine are over 1000bf in the first half and they come out one at a time. The guy that taught my son always said "Take a lighter load and go often, if you are winching more than once you are wasting time." There's a lot to be said for that. The 240A seems to like the way we do it with out too much wiggle waggling.

Moved to the next section on the big lot - fixed up an old town road to get in.

Put the landing in today. Still figuring out the best layout. Here's some pictures.

View attachment 310218View attachment 310219View attachment 310220

Sent a load to the mill last week that I scaled at 7400bf, 43 logs on the truck, picked up the check and scale slip on Friday, 5475bf and 42 logs. Somehow a 14'x24" log went for a walk and the scale stick measured at least an inch smaller than mine.

looks like good high ground there jwilly. I likely won't see that till next summer.

We cut the big pine in half (usually 50') so they will get around the bends better and always leave bumper trees till the end. The straighter the roads the better so I usually go in before the cutting starts and layout the main roads. Often we bunch individual stems to the side of the main trail and pick them up when we have a light hitch. Some of these pine are over 1000bf in the first half and they come out one at a time. The guy that taught my son always said "Take a lighter load and go often, if you are winching more than once you are wasting time." There's a lot to be said for that. The 240A seems to like the way we do it with out too much wiggle waggling.

That sounds like good work. And very nice country.

twochains- I referred to a conversation between myself and a former employer with a third party, and how that third party was from a whole different world. Logging does have some impact. How one recognizes, accomodates and lessens this impact is reflected in the quality of the job. Wiggle waggling is not my preferred method to achieve successful results.

Last edited:
This is up on a side hill, not steep here but it gets worse. At least on this part of the lot it is well drained. The section we finished collected all the water from 6 road culverts which ran year round. We finally got he trails brushed and frozen last winter, for awhile it was rough going and I did a lot of filing on the landing. If the mud froze it was impossible. With the dry spell we are having now we went back and were able to grade the main roads so they are walkable and fairly flat now, no ruts left.

After this weekend

Here's some photos after we got done this weekend. Fixed the alternator belt on the 240A, put on a new winch cable, worked on the road a little and cut some wood. Monday we had my grandson Austin running skidder, his Dad cutting down and me (the old man) cutting up and stacking. It's pretty neat to have 3 generations working together.

There is a lot of pulp that we need to get hauled but we still need to do a little more work on the landing so we can get a truck and pup in but we're close.

There is also a picture of the cabin I built for the landowner in the middle of this 500 acres.

View attachment 312975View attachment 312976View attachment 312977View attachment 312978View attachment 312979

Landowner Cabin

Here's the cabin and barn I built for the owner of the lot we are cutting.

Very nice cabin! New England / North East kind of has a style all it's own as far a building goes. Seems things are kept kind of simple. Maybe it's just the stuff I'm seeing and the few New Englanders I've dealt with lol

Keep up the good work!

Latest posts

Back