Moving=store or sell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'll be leaving my spacious home with large yard in the forested Santa Cruz Mountains with room for many vehicles and equipment etc and into a small condo with 2 parking spaces and no yard whatsoever and no wood heat. It'll be hard but the area we'll be going to will be worth it, I believe. We gotta move now matter.

So now I've got scads of stuff. 3 saws, tree-climbing gear, weadeater, leafblower, gas posthole digger, logsplitter, generator, 5 tool chests and lots of tools, truck, bicycles, etc etc etc. If I had to buy this stuff all over again it'd be many ridiculous thousands of dollars. I could sell it for mere pennies on the dollar or spend many dollars on a storage unit, but it will be many many years until getting a place that I would need all the stuff again.... But I can't see having spent many thousands originally just to sell it for hundreds just to re-buy it for many thousands again.

What would you do? Keep it for future usefulness, or sell it off to make room for new life?

i'm sure alot of users on here would be willing to buy some stuff from ya.

me included

if you can afford to store it, store it. you will have countless occasions where you will need a tool and know where to get it instead of buying it again.

but also only store what you really think you will need/not regret. everything else sell on CL of eBAY.

to get rid of or not

There are countless times that sometimes I wish I had a quaint little place with a small yard and no need for all the stuff I have.There is always something broken,needing adjustment or maintaining at my house.Between atv's,snowmobiles,go carts,snowblowers,farm tractors,etc,etc.My life would be easier but I would not be in the shape I am at 50 if I did not have all the property I have.Guns,ammunition,tool boxes and workbenches take up alot of space.4wd truck and plow = maintenance.I just made up alist of "usable" things that I still actually need.About $130k.I would only keep family heirloom stuff if in your shoes,unless you plan on getting another place in a couple of years.I still think I am in heaven where I live but man it costs alot of money.

keep anything handed down thru family. keep american made tools. keep saws if high quality/good condition. you won't find much quality in tools 5-10 yrs from now. just a thought.

I still think I am in heaven where I live but man it costs alot of money.

Sometimes I wished I had bought my grandfather's old farm in upstate NY (know any Hunsickers?) for the ridiculously low price it went for. The house was over 200 years old with boulders for foundation. Someone bought the huge dilapidated barn for the recycled lumber. But winters woulda been too harsh for me so i declined purchase when he passed on.

Being a professional mechanic for Ford I'm definitely hanging onto tool-related stuff for the fact that they will save us money not having to call someone to fix anything, house or otherwise. There are definitely things I could easily let go of too, but the hard part is drawing the line between sentimental/useful things and what makes sense for the space i'll have.

The goal is to get my own place again in, ohhh, 7 to 10 years, but....I just realized that the future is so unpredictable, that whilest one can plan ahead as best they can, they still end up where they end up.... so plan the best path for now without focusing solely on the unknown future may be prudent.

Decide what size storage unit you can afford and what ever fits is what you can keep. Make sure the tools you keep are tools you can make a little side money with. Always someone looking for a good mechanic or someone to trim back a tree. A few small jobs a month will pay for the storage space.

-Jones

Cityevader,
Sounds like a prison sentence to me(moving TO the city). I hope things improve for you sooner than later.

Maybe you can find a friend or a relative who could house the stuff for you and you could help out around the farm in exchange for storage fees. Best of both worlds, you still get to keep in touch with the "Cityevader" side and you get to keep and use your stuff occasionally.

A

Store it, you never know when it might be needed. I have had numerous times I never held on to things, only to wish I had not sold or given those items away. :)

cityevader,i know some but the name is spelled different&i live in upstate ny.you right winters suck,still have snow here.but thanks to my wonderful inlaws i have 6acres of "heaven".

If it was me and I have a crap load of stuff too, I would buy a small piece of property, build a sizeable shed/garage/shop and store it myself. I surely wouldn't pay a storage unit for mulitple months. Do the math on storage for the period of time your thinking and I'm sure it will work out. Just my 2 cents though.

Two people can easily carry a roller cabinet up/down stairs after you remove all the drawers. If you don't put a top chest on it, it can fit in the closet beneath the clothes if the rod is high enough. When I went to grad school and moved into an apartment, I sold one of my two roller cabs, took the other one and both top chests with me. Left most of my guns with my dad, just took a pump 12ga for security.

If you're really pressed for space, sell the cabinets and keep the tools. You can put thousands of $$ of tools in a cardboard box or rubbermaid tub if you don't insist on being able to pick it up while filled.

Last edited:
put in a bid

hey put in a bid to take care of the condo grounds! make some money and get to keep the toys....i mean tools

but in all honesty rent a unit as small and as cheap as you can keep olny the beloved and expensive gear sell the rest.

Sorry to hear that you have to move.
I would make a long list of everything and then study it for a while. Then decide what should go and try to make arrangements to keep the rest.
Storage fees can climb real fast and you could loose more $ sometimes by keeping the stuff.
I have an enclosed trailer (like a job trailer)that stores lots of stuff and looks good, only cost me 700.00 and have had it for four years. I would have spent more on storage fees and not had the trailer that's still worth about what it cost me.
Around here you can park a storage trailer, boat or motorhome in secured yards for a couple hundred a year.
Just my .02.
Hate to see you loose a lifetime of goodys for pennys on the dollar.

I think you have already moved on to the next part of your life.I say sell the stuff and start over.This is not an economics lesson; most of the stuff we buy are bought for maintaining the lifestyle we have.When that lifestyle changes, the items have already lost most of their value.What is the value of a unused saw?I would answer "not high enough to rent it a room".

Good luck tto you..

But this ole boy could never get by with just two parking spaces..
I just bought my license plates Friday. That was 2 trailer plates.and 8 vehicles.. Yes all run none are on blocks.My driveway looks like a used car lot. But then again I have three kids that are all driving now.
Where would I park my bulldozer at a condo?My 31 foot airstream? my 20 foot car hauler trailer? My truck slide in camper? tractors?wood trailers? wood splitters? Crap I have a lot of "stuff"
Good luck to you.. But this ole redneck boy will always live in the country with a large driveway and 3 acres of front yard.
Heck I just bought fish to put in my new pond Friday. 100 channel cats,100 large mouth bass,100 bluegill,50 crappie,25 red ears, and 5 pounds of minnows for them to feed on for a while.. Where the heck would I store them in a condo? LOL

Latest posts

Back