Moving=store or sell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that is a wonderful eye-opening statement that really puts it into perspective.

I bought my mother's family place when we had our first child.My kids were the fifth generation to live in that house.It had never been out side the family, so it, along with a two story shop, were stuffed to the rafters.Initially, it was like owning a treasure trove of tools, antiques and priceless heirlooms.We dug out great stuff daily.Problem was, we had no room for our things.We had moved cross country, twice, so we were living lean.Suddenly, we had stuff that we had to plan our lives around, not the other way around.We have since moved to yet another state, and most of that stuff has been sold or given away.When I need something, I start on Craig's and enjoy the hunt.We all have needs, but when the stuff starts owning you it is time to make some changes.I wish you luck with your move.

You might check to see if you can find a used 53ft semi trailer. Around here you can find used semi trailers for around 500 bucks. They usually have poor brakes tires frames etc but are dry storage units. Then maybe find a farmer, somone with some land, a construction company, find somewhere to park the trailer. Who ever you buy the trailer from might hhave a way to move it for you. You can fit A LOT of stuff in a 53 ft van trailer. The nice thing when your done, as long as its still a dry place to store stuff (ie doesnt leak water) you will most likely get 500 back out of it.

Well, it's been 5 months now since moving out of the hills and into the city. I ended up selling most things, but gave away a lot too. A guy came to get my tree-climbing gear for a cheap $80, asked if I was selling my HF splitter. "Darn right i am!" Next day he comes with $1000. Was I ever glad to get rid of that thing. I, of course, told him about all the problems I'd had with it and he didn't even flinch. Nice!
There was about 8 cords of mostly oak and black locust, I think I got about a grand including giving a good third to half of it away. Local prices are $350/"Boulder Creek cord". (a B.C. cord is really about 2/3 cord thrown into a pickup bed without side rails.) It felt good to give away so much wood to my wonderful neighbors who deserved it.
Sold the Husky 359 w/ muffler mod for a paltry $250. The Stihl 015L and Echo 452VL for $90.
Sold the '71 F250 Camper Special (after moving of course) for $1500.
Gave away a bunch of furniture and garden tools to a guy at church.
Post hole auger for $250.
Wooden playground structure $150.
50cc 4-stroke bicycle $250.
Standby generator $900. ouch, paid $2500 a year prior.
On-demand Rinnai water heater $400. Ouch, paid $1100 a year prior.
Elliptical exerciser and treadmill for $400.

Those were the more memorable things, but there were many many more smaller things. All in all, we put quite a few thousand dollars into savings and didn't't have to "rent a room" for stuff. After a couple months of whittling away more items, and making some smart storage decisions in the garage, and we're finally able to park both Ford Escapes inside with just enough room to slide through with my gut that's getting bigger now. However, anytime I want to work on a project, I gotta pull car(s) out and park them down the block.
While I certainly miss the large yard (and now CERTAINLY miss wood heating now that it's gotten colder this week), the lack of maintenance is fabulous.

I'm glad to be out of the forest. Being surrounded by redwoods for seven years, and needing to drive an hour to get to anything, really had me wanting to get out of it all. Now we can ride our bikes to a multitude of places, restaurants, parks, cafes, hardware stores; everything is now so close! It was the change of pace we really needed. And no more finding scorpions, tarantulas, snakes, rodents, and vast insect life inside the house. In fact, i've only seen three tiny spiders inside in 5 months, and no more mosquitoes!!!
The cat has grown accustomed to being inside permanently, I've grown accustomed to the freeway noise (my wife was born deaf so can live next to anything) and the depression caused by such a drastic change in life circumstances is starting to lift, and the mortgage bank has finally stopped calling four times a day for the last 4 months.

All in all it was what we really needed for this time of our lives. While I never want to own another home again, that feeling may pass by the time our credit has returned. Meanwhile, we're focusing on living, rather than the circumstances themselves that drive our lives.

But that said, I miss wood. A customer brought his pickup in for repairs, there were rounds of fresh-cut fir in the back.....memories came flooding in. Drizzly forest, warm fires, smores, cocoa, and arboristsite....siiigghhhh.

aw man! I didn't even think about you at that time, sorry! I held onto it for a long time. The only use it got was to take the tandem bicycle to Santa Cruz, at a cost of $20 in gas, and otherwise it was a pain to keep moving it every three days like clockwork to keep the parking nazis off it.
Now I'm kicking myself for selling to stranger rather than someone I know who'd be kind to it while still using the snot out of it...sorry!

I was thinking of you this week, however, when I flipped the switch for the hairdryer heat from the furnace, knowing you'd likely have the first fire of the year glowing away, all excited like a little kid with your woodpile all set for the year.

got any good friends or family to store stuff at? if you bought a shipping container to keep stuff in and stash it out of the way on their property. 7-10 years is a long time to consider paying for a storeage area.

Whole family is city-dwelling, and everything is already gone anyway. And in reality, everything I sold can be re-purchased later as needed, and more wisely purchased (with past experiences) to better suit those new needs as they'll likely be different anyway. (Although I do miss my scrap metal and wood piles, sure were handy!)

Also we're planning for a baby (first attempt miscarried, now retrying) which will give such a vast redirect of energy/time/needs/hobbies/projects etc., so it's good to start fresh. I still have the things I need, with room to grow a bit as well.

Overall, I'm glad I'm out of the past circumstances, but wouldn't trade them for the world. I can look back at those memories, live in the present, and apply both towards the future.

got any good friends or family to store stuff at? if you bought a shipping container to keep stuff in and stash it out of the way on their property. 7-10 years is a long time to consider paying for a storeage area.

Last time I was in Kazakhstan, a guy I had worked with in the UK was there. The day after I arrived, a container showed up. Inside was an offshore bag that he left in the container in Russia. Still had all his cold weather coveralls, boots, cold medicines, etc. He hadn't seen it in three years.
Be careful storing things in shipping containers, they may show up on your door step in the least likely places...

Most of us that have been thru the big "D" had to downsize too. I went from a 3/2 2 car garage to a 24' class C motorhome. I sold all the big stuff, bought a used beat up 16x7 enclosed trailer and jammed all my tools/etc in it. I lived in that motorhome in a County Park for 4 years. Finally, I retired and moved out of the city onto my 100ac in the sticks. I wil never go back to the city...ever. When I go tit's up someone can use the FEL to dump me on the compost pile, or better yet build a really big bonfire and......:blob2:

RD

Do you have a friend that could use the tools on loan until you need them? My dad did that with a lot of his tools. He wanted to see them used rather than in storage in our barn.

Funny story was that he had 5 cement mixers. All of them bought for cheap and fixed up so they ran find and all of them out on loan. As he was getting ready to build his retirement house he noticed one of our neighbor's had one of the cement mixers. So we stopped there one day when the neighbor was outside and dad asked if he could have his cement mixer back in a few weeks so he could use it to set his foundation. The guy said he borrowed it from a friend and he was 100% sure it was not my dad's. So dad just smiled and said "gee, let me show you something over here on the frame" and on the inside of the frame was my dad's first and middle initial and his last name. You could have bowled the neighbor over with a feather.

Well a lot of checking of who had it before, and who had it before him, and who had it before him led to a trail of about 12 people, and sure enough my dad knew the first person he loaned it to and told him to keep it until dad asked for it. That guy figured it was safe to loan as long as he could get it when dad asked. And it kept going.

aw man! I didn't even think about you at that time, sorry! I held onto it for a long time. The only use it got was to take the tandem bicycle to Santa Cruz, at a cost of $20 in gas, and otherwise it was a pain to keep moving it every three days like clockwork to keep the parking nazis off it.
Now I'm kicking myself for selling to stranger rather than someone I know who'd be kind to it while still using the snot out of it...sorry!

I was thinking of you this week, however, when I flipped the switch for the hairdryer heat from the furnace, knowing you'd likely have the first fire of the year glowing away, all excited like a little kid with your woodpile all set for the year.

No worries. Yep, had a chill-chaser the other night. I won't even begin to use the Oak/Black Locust until next year. I am amazed at how much it has seasoned in 7 months.

Latest posts

Back