Moving to a house without a stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I'm moving, and the new house doesn't have a wood burner. I'm considering taking my Jotul with. I have a through the wall thimble with triple wall outside. Thought I'd just cap the thimble, paint it to match the wall and take the whole stack and stove with. Might be a selling point with prospective buyers though. I'm a bit torn. It would definitely be a boon in the new house, it's still got single pane windows and storm windows, and the heat pump is an older SEER 10. Free heat this winter till we can get the old house sold and some of the windows replaced in the new one would be a good thing. Not to mention the 3 years worth of wood I already have cut and seasoned that would be wasted.

No wood shed at the new place either. It would be back to pallets and tarps.

Ian

I would take it with me as it sounds like that is one of the easier systems to set up. Do you have a good spot in the new house you want to put it? Also, I doubt there are many buyers looking for a ready to take a wood stove house. Some people probably see it as a liability or a waste of space. Let us know what you do.

Yep, there's an ideal spot in the new house for it. Right by the door to the garage. It would be a through the (shingle) roof installation. The old place is a 1.5 story so there's 24' of pipe. This one is a one story ranch, so if I took the pipe with, think all I would need is a ceiling and roof thimble. Have to see how much it would cost to have it installed. I called the dealer that I bought it from to see if he would do it, but this weekend is his Labor day sale and he's busier than a one legged man in a potato sack race. I'll call him later this week.

Ian

Id say plug the hole in the wall and take it with you. Electric heat is gonna suck after youve been heating with wood for the last year or two. I could help you with the install if the dealer is too busy and you decide to do it yourself, all you should need is the roof flashing kit, ceiling thimble and the insulation shield/barrier. Are you moving very far?

the best

How sad! Could you take your Jotul and replace it with another stove?

Ya, just swap out any old used decent looking wood heater in the old house, haul the jotul to the new house with half the seasoned wood. Leaving a heater and some good wood at the old house is a fair selling point.

Are you moving very far?

About 18 miles. I'm about 8 miles north of richmond now and the new place is west of Richmond about 4 miles from exit 87.

Depending on how much they want to charge me to relocate the old setup, it might be cheaper to buy new pipe and just relocate the stove.

Seeing as the new run will be almost entirely inside the envelope of the house except for what sticks out the roof, combined with 15ish feet of pipe vs 24, I may not need the super expensive triple wall hard pack pipe and can get by with a less expensive double wall pipe. We shall see.

Ian

Last edited:
About 18 miles. I'm about 8 miles north of richmond now and the new place is west of Richmond about 4 miles from exit 87.

Depending on how much they want to charge me to relocate the old setup, it might be cheaper to buy new pipe and just relocate the stove.

Seeing as the new run will be almost entirely inside the envelope of the house except for what sticks out the roof, combined with 15ish feet of pipe vs 24, I may not need the super expensive triple wall hard pack pipe and can get by with a less expensive double wall pipe. We shall see.

Ian

Cool, if you need any help just let me know. Will you have more acreage?

A little more, but it's mostly vertical. Old place is not quite 2 acres, new place is 2.58.

Ian

You crack me up!

More land but it is mostly vertical... You know you still have a window deal whenever you get ready for them.Be a good time to upgrade to triple with krypton.!

Congradulations on the new place....like getting married: everything is virgin. :hmm3grin2orange:

Great opportunity for you to go first class with the chimney system. Triple-walled piping is nowhere near as efficient and technically solid as a higher end SS system like Selkirk metalbestos. I've done too many of them. The latest ones ( 2 ) have been up for over 10 years when I build our last and latest place Downeast -- solid, well designed and made, and safe. Well worth the extra $$$.

And, a good time to upgrade your 'new' stove. You may be able to get something for the old Jotul in the sale ?

Best success HH.

P.S. If you can swing it, get the best windows. Expensive yes, but the payback is fast ( for us, saving wood ), and the security of insulation and weatherproofing is worth it. We did Marvin Windows in both homes in this chilled place: in zero F weather you can put your hand on the panes and NOT feel cold. It is a DIY job if you take the time to do it right. And never any drafts or condensation as with cheaper windows, "storm windows", or single pane. No, I don't know how many cords we've saved.:dizzy:

Last edited:
What I've got now is the Simpson Dura-Plus triple wall with ceramic hard pack insulation. I'm hoping that the new shorter run inside the house envelope won't require the very best stuff to maintain a draft. The old run is outside the house almost all the way up without the benefit of a chase to break the wind. Still has a good strong draft after the initial warmup.

Ian

Take the Stove with you. Jotul is an excellent brand and the prices of wood stoves have jumped this year due to to increase in price of steel & oil. Jotul is made in Denmark I think.

Well, looks like the house is going to fall through. Got the inspection today and he said that the foundation needs about $7000 in repairs due to water and termite damage. He said an attempt to repair some of the termite damage had been done, but it looked like a handyman rather than a professional had done it. About 10% of the water damage had been addressed but the source of the water had not. The repairs were soaking wet.

Oh well, on with the house search.

Well, that sucks...

Well, looks like the house is going to fall through. Got the inspection today and he said that the foundation needs about $7000 in repairs due to water and termite damage. He said an attempt to repair some of the termite damage had been done, but it looked like a handyman rather than a professional had done it. About 10% of the water damage had been addressed but the source of the water had not. The repairs were soaking wet.

Oh well, on with the house search.

But, look at the bright side. It is a buyer's market of the generation right now. My guess is prices will drop further, but they are already back down to more reasonable levels now that all that house flipping and repacking mortgages 18 times in a row and selling them upstream has slowed down.

Update... found a new house. Walkout basement. No burner, but again a good place to put one one. Will have more room around the stove and it'll be on the concrete slab instead of on a pad sitting on hardwood. More square feet than our current house and nicer amenities, but not as well laid out, so it will feel smaller. 1 acre lot on a small rural 10-15 house cul-de-sac. Gave up on trying to find that 5-10 acres. I can afford a 5 acres and a nice house in a depressed or distant area, or a nice house on 1 acre in a better, closer area. We opted for a small property and (hopefully) better neighbors. Taking the Jotul with us and leaving a Tractor Supply stove in the old house.

Ian

Latest posts

Back