ms-170 back together and running with vid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am glad i am not the only one that really likes the 170,,,,,, i have my eye on a new 260 at teh stihl dealer,,, been on the shelf for over a year now,,,,i drool over that saw every time i go in there

I gotta pretty slick 026 pro i may let go. Has the WT 194 fully adjustable carb that was just rebuilt.

My only real complaint about my 180 is it tends to flood more than some saws when cranking after warming up. It starts fine cold, it's probably just me and my cranking techniques.
Maybe your low screw setting is a bit too rich...turn in 1/8--1/4 turn to lean it out more.
No harm will be done...and you can change it back it the adjustment doesn't help.
:cheers:
J2F

The little 170's-180's sure don't get the respect they deserve on here. I think they are excellent for the money. Easily five times the saw as a "wild thing". Well worth the 179.00 that they bring around here new on sale. I've got a little 180 we have abused the hell out of and it just keeps going. Over the five or six years we've had it, the saw sure doesn't owe us a dime. If it blows tomorrow, I'll have no gripes.

Just because they are home owner quality, and cheap, they get no respect on here. I'd have no problem recommending one for the use they are designed for, and they exceed their design limitations all the time.
I've got a very handicapped relative, very crippled, who will piddle around and whittle up 30" dia stuff with his little 170, he's got all the time in the world, doesn't push the saw or himself.

You hit the nail on the head. The 170/180 series are great little homeowner work saw. Very realible and easy to work on. They lack the respect they deserve. They are similair to the MS290. If you use the saw to what they are designed to be used for you will have no problem. They are homeowner saw not pro series saws.

I remember when I got my 170. The dealer suggested I get a 180. But I told the dealer I liked the 170 because it favors the 660. In that I mean it does not have flippy caps and has 2 clutch cover nuts. I really couldnt be happier with my little MS170

wife says i have to sell the cs-370 and cs-310 and then i can go get it,,,,,i hate drooling over a saw,,,well,,,ok,, i lied,,i love drooling over a new saw

be nice i can find someone to trade me both my echos for one or even an 026

My only real complaint about my 180 is it tends to flood more than some saws when cranking after warming up. It starts fine cold, it's probably just me and my cranking techniques.

this 170 will start with a half pull warmed up and 2 pulls cold,,, can't ask for anything better

nice saw. My last load for the season I left the 460 at home and took my brand new 170 out. brought home a load of 6"-9" round logs to start drying out over winter, paid for itself in one load.

Back