MS 250, not so bad.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris J.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
I was going to break out my 025 (bought used for a very reasonable price) for some Ike clean-up, just to see what it would do (I put a fully adjustable carb on it), but my Husqvarna 51 was more convenient & also had a better chain on it.

Poley4

Poley4

ArboristSite Guru
+1 on the 250/025. Hang an adjustable carb on it, mod the muffler and it makes a respectable firewood saw. Once you get familiar with how it's put together, it's a piece of cake to work on also. This is a nice feature for us cheapskates.

These are fun, useful little saws. You've gotta hand it to Stihl, they managed to design a lower cost saw while still providing some nice saw characteristics.

This MS 250 appears to have a fully adjustable carb on it already. So since I really don't need a second 45-50cc STOCK saw, how about a mild port job and muffler mod? Does the 250 have a strong enough bottom end to support the extra power? I really hate to tear into my 488, but I'm sure it would handle it and parts for the 250 are much easier to come by if I want to put it back stock.

Poley4

Poley4

ArboristSite Guru
Muffler mod

Well, I pulled the muffler off of the 250 tonight and went ahead done a small mod to it. I measured the hole under the louvers on the front of the muffler and it was 3/8" in diameter. So. I decided to increase the hole size by 50%, which figured to be 9/16", but not having a drill bit that large, I drilled it to 1/2" and then took a dremel and lengthened the hole, might went a little big, but what the hey. I then took a drift pin punch and opened up the louvers a bit, pulled off the limiter cap on the high side carb jet. The thing is really loud now, but it sure does scream. I pulled the plug after running it a bit and it was still a little on the dark side, but that will do until I get a tach. I hate to say it, but I think it might cut with my 488 now.:chainsaw:

andrethegiant70

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well, I pulled the muffler off of the 250 tonight and went ahead done a small mod to it. I measured the hole under the louvers on the front of the muffler and it was 3/8" in diameter. So. I decided to increase the hole size by 50%, which figured to be 9/16", but not having a drill bit that large, I drilled it to 1/2" and then took a dremel and lengthened the hole, might went a little big, but what the hey. I then took a drift pin punch and opened up the louvers a bit, pulled off the limiter cap on the high side carb jet. The thing is really loud now, but it sure does scream. I pulled the plug after running it a bit and it was still a little on the dark side, but that will do until I get a tach. I hate to say it, but I think it might cut with my 488 now.:chainsaw:

Well, done, sir! So far, my saw (simlilarly modded) is holding up very well. I'll have to say, I favor the 025 over the 023 or 021, same package, more displacement. An 025 and an 044 have been a great combination for me gathering firewood this year.

E&R_firewood

E&R_firewood

ArboristSite Operative
this is an older thread, but thought i'd put in my two cents worth. local stihl dealer went out of business and had a liquidation sale . . .on the last day of the sale, i went in to see if anything was left . . .there was an ms250 and an ms170. As i have had great luck with my 026 and had no need for a really small saw i inquired about the ms250 and ended up bargaining my way into taking it home for $195 . . .warranty and "free" bar cover included. i have used it for over a year with zero real problems . . .i am not a fan of some of its cheaper elements . . . the cheesy clip-on air filter seems to fit loosely so i rigged a backup to hold it in place with two wire bread bag ties and the plastic clutch cover is less that sturdy looking . . .but it clutches in flawlessly and has cut a lot of wood for me . . .i think it is a good saw and for a few sheckles more than a poulan i feel alright about my purchase

Poley4

Poley4

ArboristSite Guru
this is an older thread, but thought i'd put in my two cents worth. local stihl dealer went out of business and had a liquidation sale . . .on the last day of the sale, i went in to see if anything was left . . .there was an ms250 and an ms170. As i have had great luck with my 026 and had no need for a really small saw i inquired about the ms250 and ended up bargaining my way into taking it home for $195 . . .warranty and "free" bar cover included. i have used it for over a year with zero real problems . . .i am not a fan of some of its cheaper elements . . . the cheesy clip-on air filter seems to fit loosely so i rigged a backup to hold it in place with two wire bread bag ties and the plastic clutch cover is less that sturdy looking . . .but it clutches in flawlessly and has cut a lot of wood for me . . .i think it is a good saw and for a few sheckles more than a poulan i feel alright about my purchase

I'd say you got an excellent deal on a good saw. That's at least $100 cheaper than normal.

superfire

superfire

Addicted to ArboristSite
there ok

this series seems to sell well in my area. now if you are into moding then you wil seee the real difference in sawz. bsnelling modded a home owner 180 and that thing skreams. i wonder what could be done to a 250????????

:jawdrop:
:givebeer:
:popcorn:

Poley4

Poley4

ArboristSite Guru
this series seems to sell well in my area. now if you are into moding then you wil seee the real difference in sawz. bsnelling modded a home owner 180 and that thing skreams. i wonder what could be done to a 250????????

:jawdrop:
:popcorn:

I didn't port mine like Brad did his MS180, but I did however enlarge the hole in the front of the muffler and opened up the louvers a it, and it made a world of difference. I don't know if all MS250s are this way, but mine came with a fully adjustable carb.:greenchainsaw:

Jon E

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
I have an 025. Is there a "how-to" that can tell me how to mod the muffler to get a bit more power? I really like mine, it's my primary saw. I cut 6-8 full cords of firewood a year and it's been going strong for almost 10 years.

stipes

stipes

Addicted to ArboristSite
210 done good to..

Was good for the small trimming and lite to handle....If the 250 runs like the little 210,,be a great saw for a weekend cutter...
Finally gave my 210 away to my GF's son inlaw,,thought he at least learned but no..I'm kinda mad at him too...Guess some younguns think they know it all,,still no ppe what so ever...Sent him home a while back and told him at least get some :censored: eye protection!!!!!