MS 270 trashed bearing... options?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCraig

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Saw a 270 on CL and went to look at it thinking I’d quick flip it. Turns out it was locked up, so I talked him down to $10.

Finally got to mess with it today, and the clutch side bearing appears to be toast. Surprisingly, piston looks fine through the exhaust port.

I have zero interest in keeping this saw. What are my options as far as repairs go?

Replace bearings & seals & flip?

Buy a Chinese shortblock and flip?

Part it out? I’d rather do this sort of thing here; I don’t want to deal with eBay and shipping and all that...

Sell as a whole parts saw?

What would y’all do?

“Flip” meaning fixing everything right and passing on a good deal to someone in need of a saw... right?

?

Yes. I’ve “flipped” probably 50 saws in the last 3 or 4 years. Enough that I’ve had repeat customers. If I use AM parts, I disclose that in my Craigslist listing and price accordingly. No “bubblegum and duct tape” fixes here—typically the usual fuel related issues.

This one, I gambled and lost. Oh well. ;-)

Yes. I’ve “flipped” probably 50 saws in the last 3 or 4 years. Enough that I’ve had repeat customers. If I use AM parts, I disclose that in my Craigslist listing and price accordingly. No “bubblegum and duct tape” fixes here—typically the usual fuel related issues.

This one, I gambled and lost. Oh well. ;-)
Gotcha. Flipping around here has a connotation that I disagree with— cleaning a saw a person got on the cheap, skipping repairs needed for longevity, and sending it “down the road” to an unsuspecting buyer.

Gotcha. Flipping around here has a connotation that I disagree with— cleaning a saw a person got on the cheap, skipping repairs needed for longevity, and sending it “down the road” to an unsuspecting buyer.

Ah—gotcha.

So I decided to pull it apart all the way ‘cause I’ve never messed with a Stihl clamshell before (and I own a 391, so I figure I better get some practice). The bearing is Stihl part # 9503 003 4300. The manufacturer is FAG, part # 803709 B and elsewhere says W220B.

A set of 2 AM bearings and seals is $50 on evilbay, which seems steep to me. Anyone able to look up what OEM price on those would be?

Thinking of rebuilding for fun and using this as my new loaner saw. CAD is real.

Surprisingly, the cylinder has only minor scuffing, totally sandable, and the piston only has some pitting on the crown. My guess is that the bearing and seal failure happened quickly & the saw didn’t have much run time before it sucked air and died.

Carnage shots below. Anyone know why the balls are different sizes?

AB44E20F-90A4-44FC-B98C-5094F20B9CA5.jpeg 15C8E1B9-D84A-40E5-B807-3EFFACB59CD8.jpeg A3E6859F-15DF-4CE8-9532-C9130D53DB14.jpeg

It’s a common problem with that nightmare of a model. IIRC, the PTO bearing is an odd size that’s not proprietary and is like $60-70. Has the same ID but a larger OD than the standard 025 style clammy bearing.

I made a sleeve from the old bearing outer race on my lathe and pressed a new SKF bearing into it. I got a usable good bearing on the cheap that way that’s held up for years.

I’ll never touch another 270/280 if I can help it. Half mag/half plastic chassis with a clamshell motor bolted to it. They do actually run well though.

Latest posts

Back