ms 290 problems???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger m

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have an ms 290 that i replaced the engine with a new oem engine due to scored piston,i have muff modded and tuned in wood,it runs great,has 155lbs of compression,the problem that i have is i let it sit for an hour or so after running it floods out and fouls the plug when trying to restart it and i know it is not too rich,it is very odd,i have had 4 of these saws and this is the first one that has done this,i am thinking fuel line or tank vent,if any of you guys have experienced this and have any advice it would definitely help,thanks :msp_confused:

I would look at the carb. It might needing rebuilt. Fuel lines are cheap and are known to crack on these saws. I would take a look at it. I don't think that would cause you to flood but a metering lever not set correctly would.

i have an ms 290 that i replaced the engine with a new oem engine due to scored piston,i have muff modded and tuned in wood,it runs great,has 155lbs of compression,the problem that i have is i let it sit for an hour or so after running it floods out and fouls the plug when trying to restart it and i know it is not too rich,it is very odd,i have had 4 of these saws and this is the first one that has done this,i am thinking fuel line or tank vent,if any of you guys have experienced this and have any advice it would definitely help,thanks :msp_confused:

Your inlet needle is leaking. Other words fuel is still going in the motor after you cut it off. Put as new inlet needle in the carb and your problem will be solved...

Lets get our cams going Fish, no one will know,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

This thread is getting skeery! :msp_scared:
Do I hear the faint sound of Elvis music playing in the background...

This thread is getting skeery! :msp_scared:
Do I hear the faint sound of Elvis music playing in the background...

LOLOLOL, awwwwwwwwwwwww too funny,hahha. BTW, Fish loves it when I sing "Are You Lonesome Tonight" :love1::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

well i replaced the needle and set the lever to the stihl manual specs,runs real good and then will quit,still fouls plug out out,i have another 290 that runs great,i might try swapping the carb and see what happens ??:confused:

well i replaced the needle and set the lever to the stihl manual specs,runs real good and then will quit,still fouls plug out out,i have another 290 that runs great,i might try swapping the carb and see what happens ??:confused:

Sounds like a good idea since you have another one available. Won't cost you anything but a little time, and it may help you narrow things down a bit.

Check the order of the gasket and diaphragm. The gasket goes on the carb body first, then the diaphragm.

Start with a NEW spark plug before you do anything else. Even if the one you have is already new.

It could also be a slight air leak requiring a richer mix to run right.

Another option is coil. I had an 029 just about drive me nuts one day. Nearly tossed it into the lake. Coil would run for a while, but cut out when hot. I must have had the carb off 40 times. Remember, the fan is cooling the coil while the saw is running, so it is quite possible for it to get hotter when it shuts down. This can be exacerbated by having TONS of crud caked in/around it, which most of them do.

Back