ms 290 question of sorts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegajim

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I, typical homeowner (use any derogatory reference here) bought a ms 290 a few years back.

Long story short, the folks had some stumps to clear out. About 26 - 40 inches in diameter.

Went out and bought a 32 inch bar (0.375 pitch) for the saw. Actually sawed fairly well (for a 290, I don't do this for a living, would go broke if I did) and when the job was done, I thought.

Do I want to change back to factory 0.325" cog, or do I want to buy a 0.375" 18 inch bar (what I bought it with) and a couple (or 3) loops of chain?

At any rate, it was real nice to be able cut through big stumps in one swath, even at a slow pace than to circle around the stump.

bar length

Since you already made the investment I would keep the longer bar for the occasional big tree or stump. Also go with an 18" or 20" for the rest of what you cut on. The 32" is a bit long for a 290 but since you are not doing this every day, I see no problem.

No, I intend to keep the 32" bar.

besides, as I mentioned, the 32" bar is 0.375, and the factory std is 0.325.

I was told not to mix and match.

Your sprocket, bar and chain must be of equal pitch. Should you run an 18" bar with .325 chain then the bar and sprocket must match pitch. Your 290 will run the .375 chain with no problem hence you will not need to change the sprocket each time.

now all I need to do is buy an 18 inch bar in 0.375 pitch, and a couple 3 loops of chain.

the 290 slogged along with the 32 inch bar, although it took a bit of running for it to get up to power (from dead cold).

My dad has an 028, and I was thinking of putting my old (chuckles) 18" bar on his saw.

Back