ms 361 bogging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottym

Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first post and I have a question. I have a MS 361 with a 16 inch bar. I have this bar size because the tree here in Northern Alberta are not very big.
When I am cutting green Poplar or Pine the saw will bog often. I thought this saw was going to have more power. Am I expecting too much from this saw? Oh yeah I use it for cutting fire wood.

What kind of chain are you running and is it sharp?
Have you checked your bar oil flow?
Does the bar and chain get hot while cutting?
A 361 should have no problem pulling a 16" B/C in poplar and pine.
There are a lot of variables here.
Mike

Sounds like it isnt tuned right, chain on backwards, too tight, not enough bar oil...something.

That saw will sling a 20" bar effortlessly...It should run a 16" bar without much RPM drop.

May be running a little lean. Might turn the H screw counter clockwise a little.
starveing for fule when it gets a load on it.:greenchainsaw:

Thanks for all the replies. I sharpen my chain every tank of fuel. The bar and chain doesn't get all that hot. As well the oiling system is working fine. I know that this saw should not have a problem with what I'm cutting.

are you pushing the saw into the cut

just a thought ,with a sharp chain that saw should pull itself through the log without you having to lean on the saw

who sharpens your chain's

i have filed the depth gauges to much and it bogs the saw from to much bite

any info on how,,, when it started cuttin bad would help

as others suggest it could be fuel related needing tuned for your location

Thanks for all the replies. I sharpen my chain every tank of fuel. The bar and chain doesn't get all that hot. As well the oiling system is working fine. I know that this saw should not have a problem with what I'm cutting.
Welcome to the site! another Albertan:)
To me it sounds like it might be running a tad lean try richening up the h side say about a 1/4 turn. The 361 has ton's of power for are soft wood heck I bury the bar on my poulan 2550 16'' at 5200 ft no problem cutting poplar.
Are elevation changes so fast here or at least for me in Southern AB I tune at home at 3700 then find I can go a little leaner in the foothills.

Are you sure your cutting into Aspen Poplar

Could it possible be "White Birch" leaves look almost the same

after cutting is the wood whiteish or brownish?

Latest posts

Back