MS 361 Modded muffler on ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly... the 044/440 046/460 066/660 mufflers are more expensive respectively...

I just don't get it... when a stock dual port muffler cover for 25 to 30 bucks does the same exact thing.

LMAO... there's a sucker born every minute... :)

Gary

I am probably going to do the lakeside mod myself, but I did want to say that if you send your muffler to wojo he will do it for $75. The $125 was for a modded new muffler. I like the lakeside mod idea, but if you want a mod muffler wojo may not be way out of the ball park if you end up buying a unibit, brazing rod torch ect. My biggest obstical is my uncle, my stihl dealer in business for 20+ years. I haven't even talked to him since this darn website got me all jacked up over this muffler mod. I was perfectly happy wiht my Duramax pickup also until I found a couple diesel truck forums. I have become quite good at making purchases and having them sent to work to avoid my wife! My uncle may think it is fine, who knows, but I still remember talking about shaving the heads on my snowmobile and the head shaking that followed. I think he may be one of the dealers that will tell you it has plenty of power the way it is. I think I may just sneak into his shop and do the mod on the weekend when he isn't around and then take it to him for a chain sharpening. He usually starts it up and winds it up to see how it is running. Then I can just watch his eyebrows as he starts looking towards the muffler......

You know I was thinking last night,In all seriousness,If you do all the prep work Ill weld it for free. You just have to pay shipping.:cheers:

Thanks for the offer, but I never had a problem with the welding issue. After actually reading thru the complete lakeside mod sticky I figured out I would have no problem doing it. I braze in refrigerator compressors and AC lines often so I am fine with that. I just put the wojo $75 option back out there because that didn't seem as far out of the ball park as buying the $125 modded muffler. It is still quite a bit for what he is doing, but there are plenty of people out there with more money than the skills and equip. to do certain things. It may seem really easy to some of us, but I run into lots of people that try to fix there own appliances and they really shouldn't be allowed to touch a screwdriver. I know I won't have any problem at all doing this, I already have the uni bit and a couple of the 1/2" x 5/8" x 1 1/2" bolt spacers and torch/brass rods needed. I don't have much extra cash just sitting around either, but the idea of just dropping it in the mail and getting it back in 2-3 days may sound good to some people.

Something to think about. The muffler in the foreground has a piece of 90 degree 1/2" copper elbow silver soldered onto it by my friendly local radiator guy. The one in back is a Lakeside mod by the book, which I assume means that it's brazed. I have a slight preference for the 90 degree bend because it projects the exhaust forward (toward the bar) and keeps it from cooking my hand when I'm making a felling cut. Other than that, they perform about the same. I have never tried to put the screen into the older one though, and I don't know if it can accommodate the bend without kinking.

dscn0208pb6.jpg

The screen won't work in the elbow. Personally, I don't like the forward pointing exhaust as it blows back from the bark (bigger trees) and tends to catch dry wood on fire.

Cheap "welder" won't do it. For thin metal you need very precise current control... which is why I use gas.

I now have a TIG that can go down to 5 amps, but it wasn't cheap.
TIG's can be spendy, I've got 3 grand wrapped up in mine. The Dynasty's go pretty low on amps, they demonstrate welding tinfoil on there website.:jawdrop:

Back