MS 361 vs MS 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titanium

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,Guys.My question is for bucking up approx.16 to 20 cords a year of jack pine 4" to 12" diameter,would a MS 361 be much faster than a MS 250.My 250 works fine and until now I didn't have much to saw.The 361 is on promotion until June 30.If it would speed up my cutting It would maybe be worth doing.By the way great site and very informative.

If you're going to buy a new saw anyway, most will say BUY IT!, yes it's more powerful than the 250, and it's a pro saw, which means it can be rebuilt much easier, and is meant for every day use. I've run a ms250, but I haven't run a ms361, but I HAVE run a ms440, which is just a little more powerful than the 361, and yes, it's A LOT faster than the ms250.

Good luck with your decision, the ms361 has kind of a cult following around here!

BTW: Welcome to AS!

would a MS 361 be much faster than a MS 250? If it would speed up my cutting It would maybe be worth doing.
Much faster would be an understatement. Not to mention the healing benefits of owning a 361. Run, don't walk or think, and get the 361.

Stihl361.jpg

16 to 20 cords a year??? No comparison, the 361 is what you want. Seriously, for that much cutting, get the better saw for the job. The 250 is a fine saw, my BIL has one and really likes it. But for that much wood, get the larger saw.

For that size log, you could run it with a 16" or 18" bar. 16" ought to do it.

I would say go with the 361 even though I am trying to sell my almost brand new one because I don't need it. If want PM me.

Don't listen to these guys, the 250 is quite possibly the finest chainsaw ever built....especially when compared to the 361. ;)

361 , a smooth saw , you'll like it after running a few tanks of fuel while blocking up wood but it is fuel efficient so you may find break times (fueling and filing) farther between , 16" works fine but 18" makes it balance better .

:cheers:

361 is way better than 250 for ground work. get it if you can justify the cost. any stihl is better than any husky or poulan tho!

If it helps comparison wise, I cut about 8 cords a wood a year with my MS270, and it does just fine. Log size ranges up to 20 inches, though 4-12 is the vast majority.

Nice you included the diameter information, that help judging the work level.

I would think that 16 cords a year would be pushing the MS270/280 to the maximum.

I really don't think you need a 361 for that work, and there are a lot of options between the MS270/280.

There is no doubt that the 361 will would be more than adequate, but it might be worth looking at the in between models.

If it helps comparison wise, I cut about 8 cords a wood a year with my MS270, and it does just fine. Log size ranges up to 20 inches, though 4-12 is the vast majority.

Nice you included the diameter information, that help judging the work level.

I would think that 16 cords a year would be pushing the MS270/280 to the maximum.

I really don't think you need a 361 for that work, and there are a lot of options between the MS270/280.

There is no doubt that the 361 will would be more than adequate, but it might be worth looking at the in between models.

There really is no in between models between the 270 and 361 as far as build design. I wouldn't be afraid to cut way more than that with a 270.

My neighbor has a pretty new MS250. I helped him take down a few trees on his property over the Winter. I ran the 250 briefly. Not overly impressive anyplace. I don't know how big the engine is or power rating, but I'd look closer at the MS-361 if you are looking at Stihl saws for that much cutting....FWIW.....Cliff

Thanks for all the replies.I think the 361 might be a bit more than I need,yet if it speeds up my cutting and lasts a long time it would probably be worth it.

What promotion does Stihl have going on? I asked my dealers and they know nothing about it, they even called and did not find out anything.

Special Promotion??

I'd also like to find out what promotion ius going on! Kinda been waiting for a sale to jump into a new 361, but sales are pretty few and far between!

Latest posts

Back