MS 461 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moronmountain

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been discussed a ton here, but I used search and couldn't find a thread that answered my specific questions. Grant it I didn't read past page 3 in any post since some of them were 20+ pages, and seemed to be going a bad direction lol! Here's my question...

I've always wanted to add a Stihl to the stable. Mainly an 046, 460 variant. Specs aside, how do the new ms 461's compare to the older ones? The main differences I saw between the newer MS 441's and 461's is that the 441's have an anti-vibration feature. Do the new 461's vibrate THAT much more than a 441? Are the improvements made to the new 461 reason enough to save a few more pennies and get it over an older 046/460?

I already have a Husky 372xpw that I use alot, but it's older and I'm looking for a friend for it in case it goes boobies up while out in the bush. If everyone starts recommending a 441 over a 461, than I will prolly just get another (but new) 372 xpw.

Thanks for any/all replies, even if you just say "use search fool!" :msp_unsure:

i'll tell ya next week when mine gets here, couldn't get a 460 had to get 461. I never saw much difference in vibes between springy mounts and rubber except the springys break.

If you can find a new or almost new 460 , you will pay dearly for it. The 461 is a definite improvement over the 460. How much of an improvement will be argued, but an improvement nonetheless. Since the 460 is now out of production,OEM parts will slowly go away. Buy the current production saw and never look back provided you are looking for new not used.

The main differences I saw between the newer MS 441's and 461's is that the 441's have an anti-vibration feature. Do the new 461's vibrate THAT much more than a 441?

The vibration at idle is very different with the 441 being smoother, but at wot and part throttle the 461 is just as smooth as the 441 imo.

as far as recommending the 441 over the 461? I have both, and the reason I have both is that I bought the 461 to replace my 441 which I will be getting rid of. enough said. 461 is superior in all departments except for filtration and anti vibe at idle.

Last edited:
Love my 461[video=youtube_share;EXjtU1DXMv4]http://youtu.be/EXjtU1DXMv4[/video]

I see in your signature, you have a ported 460 as well as the 461 (guessing its still stock) ...........

Other than the ported being stronger (I am guessing again) is there any other differences that you have noticed ?

I see in your signature, you have a ported 460 as well as the 461 (guessing its still stock) ...........

Other than the ported being stronger (I am guessing again) is there any other differences that you have noticed ?

The 461 is such a good runner right out of the box. It has lots of torque. My brother thought he had a bad muffler modded big bore 460 till he ran it against my stock 461.

My 460 is a faster cookie cutter but my 461 is the bomb as far as work saws. Both are ported.

Thanks for all the responses. This is basically the kind of feedback I was looking for. My main reason for wanting a Stihl (as opposed to another 372xpw) is so I can have a good, torquey, saw that doesn't mind cutting dirty wood on occassion. I used to use my Dad's 046 for such things, but he no longer has it, so I've been wanting my own.

Go buy yourself that 461.
Put a 32" on it and bury it in some hardwood.
Your face will soon look like this.............:msp_ohmy:........:msp_thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back