Ms170 hard to start. Choke doesn't fully close

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etbrown4

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have a nearly new ms170 and yes I know you pull it until it pops then slide to half choke.

Problem is that at full choke it sometimes wont pop, no matter how many pulls. And you have to assume that continued pulling likely creates flooding.

Yes I have a new plug, good blue spark, clean filter, new gas, a clean carb and plenty of compression..

I mounted up a new carb and see that if used, it also doesn't fully close at full choke.

Anyone studied this enough to find a way to fully close the choke, and see if that helps starting

Asked an answered in your title.
If you can't figure it out find someone who can.
Likely has the butterfly off center or the linkages needs replaced or bent a touch. Control levers do go bad over time.
This is a common problem on 034 because of the design.

Make sure your control lever is snapped all the way in.
I have seen carburetors where the choke would not close all the way, but replacing the carb cured that.
If it does it with two different carbs then the little linkage piece may be off a little.
If there is much of a gap there at all it really isn't choked.

Make sure you squeeze the throttle when setting the choke.
Here's pictures of my MS180 for comparison 20230930_132237.jpg

Attachments

• 20230930_132244.jpg
    20230930_132244.jpg
    968.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230930_132249.jpg
    20230930_132249.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Thanks Coffeebrk for the pics. Mine looks exactly like yours.

The choke linkage looks likes its factory formed at about 45 degrees. Id have to bend it a lot to close the choke fully.

Can you believe the first reply to my post said, "If you can't figure it out find someone who can." Gee whiz isn't that why this very forum exists in the first place?

The horizontl control lever is snapped down hard into the open clip thats part of the chassis.

I don't believe my linkage is bent or worn. Im pretty sure it came this way from the factory.

Although only used a few times, it's past warranty.

I think we know the answer to your suggestion. That will work.

My dilemma is how I am going to bend the factory linkage enough to close the choke, as right now it misses fully closing by 1/4" or so.

Said another way, it seems hard to believe that unused factory parts could be that far off!

Correcting a factory design flaw seems like almost too big of a plan, because operator error is more common!

Just have to bend the choke rod lever a little more, come across the odd one that needs a little more angle on it.-no biggie, just as mention like 034 series
Put it in vise and hammer or bend it a little and test fit till choke closes.

Are we really saying that Stihl quality is off that much and this problem is often seen?
I've been seeing a decline in Stihl quality the last little bit. It's possible the that linkage wasn't bent properly from the factory. I have an MS 171 at work that has the exact same problem. It doesn't engage the notch on the cam for the choke or rather it doesn't stay locked in place.
I got it to start by taping the choke lever down in the full choke position. But, that's not a solution. It also floods VERY easily. 2 - 3 pulls and it's flooded. I wish I had taken pictures of it. It's in pieces ATM.

It does need a carb rebuild or replacement. But, I don't think that's the primary issue. I think it's just a bad design. Once I get it started, pull the tape off, it runs fine. I think the linkage is too long. Bear in mind that this is just theory. I'll throw it back together enough to take some pics or a video to show you what I think the problem is on Monday. (I'm not supposed to take pics or post to social media. But, screw it.)

The filter cover on my 180 doesn't go back on easily. When it's not on right it messes with the linkage and won't start or run well.

Can you close the choke without the linkage? Any wear in the Master Control shaft? Does it have a fast idle?
As for bending the linkage, been there, done that. Just make sure nothing else is binding first.
Always do the cheap diagnosis first.

Back