ms180 or ms230?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Us folks north of the boarder don't quite have the prices on chainsaws that you folks south of the boarder do. This chap has his mind set on a stihl so I can't really talk him into another band. But you guys really think the ms211 is a better route to go?

I have a MS180c that makes a great small saw for wood 8" diameter or less. But, it only cost me $70. I would not pay the $$$$ for a new one. If you're patient you can find a good used 50cc saw for similar $200US money. Otherwise get one of the $100 throw away saws every couple of years.

the 180 is even underpowered for it's small size even tho it is looks big enough for a 60cc saw.... the tooless chain adjust is a joke..the whole thing is a joke.... i dont even consider it a "REAL STIHL" :)

your milage may vary...............

I'm not a fan of these saws, but I entirely disagree with you. No way does a 9# MS180 look like a 60cc saw:( I loved the tooless chain adjuster. It works just fine on a saw that size. And they cut plenty fine for what they are. Your comments come across as nothing more than an off the wall rant.

I'm not a fan of these saws, but I entirely disagree with you. No way does a 9# MS180 look like a 60cc saw:( I loved the tooless chain adjuster. It works just fine on a saw that size. And they cut plenty fine for what they are. Your comments come across as nothing more than an off the wall rant.

It hurts me to say this Brad, but I have to disagree with you. I have a MS180 with the tooless adjuster, I got it 10 months ago and it has been to the dealer three times to get the tooless adjuster replaced under warantee. I keep telling them to take the thing off and give me a real chain adjuster, but they wont do it. When my warantee is out I will have to put it on myself.

Then at the dealer I saw a kit to make any Stihl saw a tooless adjust for $60. I laughed.

the 180 is even underpowered for it's small size even tho it is looks big enough for a 60cc saw.... the tooless chain adjust is a joke..the whole thing is a joke.... i dont even consider it a "REAL STIHL" :) [/QUOTE]

Stupid quote of the year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dizzy:

Stupid quote of the year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feel free to use my quote any time you like..
you could even put it in your sig underneath your "electric log splitter" :)

I'm not a fan of these saws, but I entirely disagree with you. No way does a 9# MS180 look like a 60cc saw I loved the tooless chain adjuster. It works just fine on a saw that size. And they cut plenty fine for what they are. Your comments come across as nothing more than an off the wall rant.

Well Brad,nice start but why a "rant" ?? i was just voicing "MY" opinion on the experiance i had ( have ) with the 180.
as for " they cut fine for what they are" ,,thats true,they "are" underpowered ,slow,oversized,heavy for what they are,but they "are" what they "are",so i guess they cut good for what they are..stihl's answer to the box store saws.
i am not the only one that dont like the tooless adjuster,it sucks..
again "my" opinion..
ok,i may have been off on the 60cc comparison,,and i dont have a 60cc to compare to like the pix i have comparing it to a 50cc saw..
looking at the pix you will see weight comparison,note 50cc saw has 18 in bar and a lot more gas in it.also so old it dont even have a chain break..
note in the pix saw size between a 32cc saw and a 50cc saw..
i think the pix comparing size will prove my statement the saw is oversized..also overweight for a small CC sized saw.. my $100 craftsman 30cc is 10 lbs with a 16 in bar with 1/2 tank gas..is easier to handle and faster in the cut..
so there are the facts,with pictures,and "my" opinions..
also,i let an arborist cutting trees over my house use the 180 and the craftsman,,,he finished the job with the craftsman $100 saw..
like i said,the MS180 is NOT a "real" stihl..

BTW,Brad,that sachs dolmar 50cc was the one i did the exhaust port on using you info you have shared..came out very well thank you.. :)

Last edited:
Troll I know their not the best choices out there, but the 230 has got to be better than a 180. I personally would'nt buy either but he was going to buy a 180 so for $50 bucks more I figured why not get a more powerful saw.

Trigger Man Troll I know their not the best choices out there, but the 230 has got to be better than a 180. I personally would'nt buy either but he was going to buy a 180 so for $50 bucks more I figured why not get a more powerful saw.
Today 08:13 PM

why dont you take him out saw shopping one day ? be fun for both of you :)
let him try some of yours ?
If he is a friend of yours dont get in a position where after awhile he blames YOU for a poor choice,even if it IS he that makes the choice.

I hear you roncoinc, he's just a customer that I delt with on another issue, who mentioned he was buying a new saw, so I asked him what he was looking at and he showed me the stihl flyer, so I'm not going to be in the heat sorta speak. I just hate seeing people getting talked into a pos like a 180 for the money they want for it. I don't believe in homeowner saws period. The guy had a poulan before and killed it. So the 230 should be a better choice for what he needs it for,light work. I actually suggested a 55 rancher that was on sale in my area, but he was struck on stihl.

Last edited:
I hear you roncoinc, he's just a customer that I delt with on another issue, who mentioned he was buying a new saw, so I asked him what he was looking at and he showed me the stihl flyer, so I'm not going to be in the heat sorta speak. I just hate seeing people getting talked into a pos like a 180 for the money they want for it. I don't believe in homeowner saws period. The guy had a poulan before and killed it. So the 230 should be a better choice for what he needs it for,light work. I actually suggested a 55 rancher that was on sale in my area, but he was struck on stihl.

Sounds like a 211 candidate to me! :givebeer:

I just hate seeing people getting talked into a pos like a 180 for the money they want for it.
OH NO !!! i said that and got flamed an disrespected and told i was ranting and other not nice stuff that made me feel really bad.. :(
glad your not in the mix,people get pre-concieved notions and you cant change thier minds..
at least in the spirit of this forum you have tried to help a fellow out ,so with a clear concience it may be time to let it go knowing you tried.
good job..

Just to inform everyone the ms180 is $329.95 and the ms230 is 379.99 here in Nova Scotia Canada, No ms 180 is worth $329.95 to me! I don't care if they give 2 woodpro kits with it.

Sorry if I've stepped on anyones toes about my comments about a ms 180 I just don't think thier worth the kind of money they ask for them that's all. Of course that could be said about a lot of things for sale out there these days.:cheers:

Sorry if I've stepped on anyones toes about my comments about a ms 180 I just don't think thier worth the kind of money they ask for them that's all. Of course that could be said about a lot of things for sale out there these days.:cheers:

You sure are right about that! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back