MS180c Problem... Fixed Thanks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all that horsing around... you could have taken a screwdriver and popped that nipple up into place.

I tried that, I didn't want to damage the boot. It would have saved me a lot of trouble if I could have just popped it into place.

Thanks HarleyT. I'll get pics tonight. If I need any of those parts I'll let you know.

I know of 3 parts I'm going to need, all missing. Choke Rod, chain adjuster, and air filter. I'm probably going to update the chain adjuster to the front adjust style.

Here's the engine out of the chassis, with the intake boot still installed.

8c97f742f20d59ca328cf163f634fc86.jpg

Here's the intake boot.

3f8ccaa9f2d3c9f768c93b6734eedd3d.jpg

I tried to straighten the boot out, but it returns to the squashed shape. I'll try heating it a little to see if it will return to the correct shape. The ring is still intact, but misshapen.

Here's the damaged con rod.

46cb4e689f807f11e785aa35325e0616.jpg

So I'll probably need an intake at least, possibly a ring. The other needs are a choke rod, air filter, and a front screw tensioner. I have an engine on the way.

Why are you going with front adjust? You can go with the side cover adjuster which is handier. You are going to need a new side cover either way.

That crank is toast. I had to grind flat spots on the flywheel side so I could clamp a vise on it to get the clutch off. I'm not concerned with salvaging the crank or the con rod. I'll order a new crank and piston at some point and rebuild the engine as a spare.

No problem, it's hard to convey humor/sarcasm in text.

Well, the engine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I think the intake boot is salvageable. I applied a little heat from my heat gun and it crawled back into the correct shape.

Before
e61af519fd012dc433751a08d8234538.jpg

After
4f56c19e5768872750c17aa6371723e3.jpg

Engine showed up today. I'll be installing it tonight. I stopped by my local Stihl dealer and picked up a choke rod and an air filter. My original reason for visiting the dealer is the my flywheel nut seems to have vanished. My dealer didn't have one in stock. Can I use a non-flanged nut to replace it, or is a flanged nut required?

Yep, same boot. I just heated it a little with a heat gun and it straightened itself back up. I use the same process on turkey decoys. They are creased and nasty looking new out of the box, add a little heat and they pop back into their original shape.

Here's the engine out of the chassis, with the intake boot still installed.

8c97f742f20d59ca328cf163f634fc86.jpg

Here's the intake boot.

3f8ccaa9f2d3c9f768c93b6734eedd3d.jpg

I tried to straighten the boot out, but it returns to the squashed shape. I'll try heating it a little to see if it will return to the correct shape. The ring is still intact, but misshapen.

Here's the damaged con rod.

46cb4e689f807f11e785aa35325e0616.jpg

So I'll probably need an intake at least, possibly a ring. The other needs are a choke rod, air filter, and a front screw tensioner. I have an engine on the way.
That Conrod duffle cation is hardly noticeable are you sure it's a problem?

It runs. I need to "fine tune" the barely adjustable carb, but it runs. Now to figure out what to do about the missing adjuster.

Back