ms200 bites again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sizzle chest is correct......the debris on the job had to go through the house so he was cutting the brush small holding branch's in one hand and cutting with the other.

A top handle can't be used safely on the ground...I doubt it...anything that can be used safely in a tree must certainly be safer on the ground. I still don't understand how these one handing injuries occur...is it by losing control of it...? cutting your non cutting hand...what?

Diesel JD said:
A top handle can't be used safely on the ground...I doubt it...anything that can be used safely in a tree must certainly be safer on the ground. I still don't understand how these one handing injuries occur...is it by losing control of it...? cutting your non cutting hand...what?

my guess he was cutting very small stuff and he probably caught a small piece with the tip and the saw jumped.

What's the difference cutting on the ground one-handed or strapped to a tree cutting one handed. Seems like more control on the ground. When I'm chunking I keep one hand on the saw and one on the chunk
( so as not to lose the chunk over a house). Sharp saw is a safe saw.
D

Last edited:
The main problem with T-handled saws is the possibility to use them with only one hand :angel:

I appreciate the main thrust of the thread may have past by now but a few items of interest from over the pond.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/crr_htm/2001/crr01402.htm

http://www.fcauk.com/afagguides.htm

As some of you point out there is an informal agreement between manufacturers/dealers and the HSE that users must show competence to use a top handled saw before purchase (In the Uk: NPTC tickets) Acer the PUWER regs are the ones to cast an eye as to the use of top handled saws on the ground.

Regulation 4: Suitability of work equipment.

(3) Every employer shall ensure that work equipment is used only for operations for which, and under conditions for which, it is suitable.

In regard to suitablity of work equipment this has been reinforced with the availability of the MS200.

Brushcutter, HSE can't revoke your NPTC tickets, no-one can at this time. Prosecutions for mis-use of top handled saws fall under PUWER and just to boot no doubt the management of health and safety at work regs as your risk assessment is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Sizzle-Chest said:
Am guessing he was cutting something he was holding? Anyway, I don't want to sound crazy here, but i cut all the time one handed. I know its a bad idea with a big saw, but those little guys are built for it. Am I the only one?

Nah, even the pros do it!

No Respect

pinus said:
The main problem with T-handled saws is the possibility to use them with only one hand :angel:
people think its a small saw and you dont have to respect it like a big saw. so you might be nonchalant with it in a brush pile and cut like a chinaman

Sal-you horrible racist how dare you say something like that, you should be charged with hate speech....really?, you mean they can't run a saw?, I thought that they just couldn't drive. Bodean, you are totally right, this has come up here before, top handed saws are made to be used with one hand, thats why the handle is on top.

clearance said:
Bodean, you are totally right, this has come up here before, top handed saws are made to be used with one hand, thats why the handle is on top.

Not according to Stihl
...check page three of this site:

http://www.stihl.de/safety_manuals/usa_en/Motorsaege_US_englisch.pdf

This is the Stihl safety manual on line for the 200T...it says:

"Do not operate a chainsaw with one hand! Serious injury to the operator, helpers, bystanders or any combination of these persons may result from one-handed operation. A chainsaw is intended to be used with two hands."

There are several other places where it says to ONLY use two hands.

It does not sound like Stihl designed their saw to be used with one hand.

(Sizzle, you may have gotten away with it so far...it is not worth the risk. )

panthro, i was reading through this thread just now and i didnt even remember that i had posted in it (it was one of my first posts). i was actually suprised to read what i had written. since then i have heard so many bad things about using those little guys one handed that i avoid it whenever possible.

NOT ACCORDING TO STIHL- what? Is one of Andreas Stihls ancestors divinely appointed to spew forth all manner of b.s., like the pope? Panther, Sizzle, Stihl, etc. here is an idea for you, don't one hand your 020. There, simple. I don't one hand that much anymore, no real need since I quit utility work. This question has come up here many times, many viewpoints pro and con. I'll concede, yes you can get cut using one hand more than if you use two hands, so when you one hand use extra caution. There are ways to avoid one handing but it would take so long and be so unproductive in certain jobs as to be retarded. Say you are sidelimbing or removing conifers thats branches overhang a powerline. I cut with one hand and push with the other, or push and hold on. I guess you could use a handsaw to finish the cut, hundreds of times, same when you are pushing of the top or logs. You could but kind of like the joke-An old rancher finds his son jerking off behind the barn, he is upset, happens repeatedly, the old man finds a real innocent sweet girl to marry his son and buys them a house. He gives them a few months to get settled then goes to see them. His sons wife is alone in the kitchen cooking, the old man looks for his son, there he is, behind the house jerking off. The old man just loses it. "Goddam it boy, what the fek are you doing, thats what I got you a wife for" "I know you did Pa, but after a while her arm gets sore."

clearance said:
NOT ACCORDING TO STIHL- what? Is one of Andreas Stihls ancestors divinely appointed to spew forth all manner of b.s., like the pope?

Clearance, don't get ramped up...no eyeball jabbing here. I was just addressing your statement that they were designed to be used one handed. Everything I read from Stihl tells me they are NOT designed to be used one handed. But just because they are designed for one thing doesn't mean somebody won't find another way to use it...I have read that some guys even fight bears with them.:dizzy:

If folks are going to use them one handed they need to be very aware of why it might be a problem...some folks will instinctively do it without knowing how dangerous it is. It's the "Doh!!" that I hate. :bang:

O.K. no offence. Like the joke? ms200 saws will probably not be used by homeowner/weekend warrior types because they are expensive and too small to use on the ground when compared to other saws. We cut trails in the bush and through the logging slash when we have to, walking along with my caulks and a backpack, ms200 in hand. I really think after using one for years, one gets to know how they work and what they do. Sometimes it is safer to buck or put in a backcut with one hand on a big saw also. One handing works, but like I have said many times, you have to be carefull.

clearance said:
NOT ACCORDING TO STIHL- what? Is one of Andreas Stihls ancestors divinely appointed to spew forth all manner of b.s., like the pope? Panther, Sizzle, Stihl, etc. here is an idea for you, don't one hand your 020. There, simple. I don't one hand that much anymore, no real need since I quit utility work. This question has come up here many times, many viewpoints pro and con. I'll concede, yes you can get cut using one hand more than if you use two hands, so when you one hand use extra caution. There are ways to avoid one handing but it would take so long and be so unproductive in certain jobs as to be retarded. Say you are sidelimbing or removing conifers thats branches overhang a powerline. I cut with one hand and push with the other, or push and hold on. I guess you could use a handsaw to finish the cut, hundreds of times, same when you are pushing of the top or logs."

Sorry I cared about you enough to say I dont want to see you as a statistic. Glad you dont have to do it anymore. Don't take anyones word for it here. Go look at the statistics. Far be it for me to be your father and catch you one handing behind the shed. Also my post was not written for just your benefit. Don't take either comment personal.

Arnie

Latest posts

Back