MS200T clutch side crank seal question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where you need to make blanking plates, you would be better going with ally as it's going to be easier to cut and file if any finessing is required. 2-3mm will be plenty thick enough. I would bond some thin rubber to the clamping face to act as a gasket. on the exhaust, you generally use the exhaust to trap the blank off, so again something thin and rubber like. Even the proper Stihl kit just comes with an elongated triangle of rubber sheet 2mm ish thick for this purpose.

I'm not sure on the ms200, but on most stihls you could probably use a similar method to block the intake side with the carb and pressurise via the impulse nipple on the crankcase.

Yeah, I'm gonna use some tyre inner tube for the rubber, and kinda improvise.

With regard the exact composition of the plates, I'll be at the mercy of whatever the missus can got from the scrappy today. I said to her "steel" on the phone this morning, since I didn't seem prudent to baffle my lovely lady with too much technology. I mean she's doing me a favour driving out there... Well, we'll see...

(I do take your point, regarding ally, being easier to craft, though)

Yeah, I'm gonna use some tyre inner tube for the rubber, and kinda improvise.

With regard the exact composition of the plates, I'll be at the mercy of whatever the missus can got from the scrappy today. I said to her "steel" for the phone this morning, since I didn't seem prudent to baffle my lovely lady with too much technology. I mean she's doing me a favour driving out there... Well, we'll see...
Wood may even work in a pinch as long as you have the tire tube to seal it and use some grease for good measure. The intake may cause some problems best to use an old intake boot sealed with silicone.

Yup, I am curious to see about the carb how long before you try?
Well, alas not tonight :( It needs another JB-weld application. Last nights application had shrunk enough to leave a small pinhole. So I'm off to reapply now. So hopefully retry friday PM/saturday AM...

On the plus side my wife (as if in secret communication with Dan Forsh) heard me ask for "steel" but came home with 2 nice pieces of ally!

She got the metal for free. As she discovered a fabrication yard a couple miles down the road and they let her take some off cuts. The woman's a genius!! :bowdown:

I don't quite understand this, to be honest, but thankyou for trying.:)

I'll get the mityvac if this carb stuff fails (probably will :() Then I'm left with obtaining some metal plate to block the exhaust. To block the intake boot I was thinking of using an old socket (the last owner of our house left loads behind) filled with something and a hose clip to hold this snug into the boot.
look the video and you understand. the method with the water

look the video and you understand. the method with the water

Thanks Pantelis!

That was really interesting. I still have a lot to learn, but this was very useful. His carb seemed to have 2 copper tubes where he puts the hose and pressurises. My ms200t carb just has 1 where the petrol feed comes in. So should I pressurise through here? When I get mityvac what pressure should I use? 0.5 bar?

Another question - if I submerge my carb in jar of water and blow through a hose into the fuel entry pipe, should no bubbles come out?

I'm gonna read the manual some more now. Eager to learn. Thanks again, Matt

Thanks Pantelis!

That was really interesting. I still have a lot to learn, but this was very useful. His carb seemed to have 2 copper tubes where he puts the hose and pressurises. My ms200t carb just has 1 where the petrol feed comes in. So should I pressurise through here? When I get mityvac what pressure should I use? 0.5 bar?

Another question - if I submerge my carb in jar of water and blow through a hose into the fuel entry pipe, should no bubbles come out?

Test yours at the fuel inlet pipe. No need to dunk in water , soapy water sprayed on will show the leak.

Thanks Pantelis!

The water is one method , the soapy water that my friend lonewolf say is another , do which is more easy for you
BUBBLES mean leaks , so no bubbles no leaks, bubbles only for the pressure test
for the vacuum test you CAN NOT see bubbles so dont look find them , you just know that you have vaccum leaks because the needle to the mityvac dont stay to the 7mmHG.

So what is more importand the house decoration lights or the mytivac ? ;):)

So what is more importand the house decoration lights or the mytivac ? ;):)

Unfortunately on saturday it's probably the light :( Need to learn again electric wiring! :reading:

(It's a good job it's summer - won't matter if light does not work for a few days...)

Quick bit of news. I completed the JB weld acc. pump block off. Put it back together this morning (doing the fuel pipe sure is fun). 3 coldish starts today, have been OK. Certainly runs alright. Still not convinced yet...

Also: I ordered the miytvac mv8500 yesterday from an amazon seller. Was supposed to take up to a week to arrive - but it came this afternoon. That's service for you - nice when you get it. If the saw plays up again, I'll get an excuse to use it.

(Also managed the new living room light installed.)

Quick bit of news. I completed the JB weld acc. pump block off. Put it back together this morning (doing the fuel pipe sure is fun). 3 coldish starts today, have been OK. Certainly runs alright. Still not convinced yet...

Also: I ordered the miytvac mv8500 yesterday from an amazon seller. Was supposed to take up to a week to arrive - but it came this afternoon. That's service for you - nice when you get it. If the saw plays up again, I'll get an excuse to use it.

Do you mean getting the fuel line on the carb was fun?

Do you mean getting the fuel line on the carb was fun?
It's certainly one of the trickier jobs to do on that saw! ;)

I may well get to a nearby wood tomorrow, and see if I can give the saw something to do. Since we're are out of logs to saw up, pretty much, around our house.

Now you finish with the mityvac and the deco lights .............. the next plan must be this, no lights no nothing
upload_2015-7-11_23-20-45.jpeg upload_2015-7-11_23-21-2.jpeg upload_2015-7-11_23-25-11.jpeg upload_2015-7-11_23-27-19.jpeg upload_2015-7-11_23-30-5.jpeg upload_2015-7-11_23-33-43.jpeg

Now you finish with the mityvac and the deco lights .............. the next plan must be this, no lights no nothing
View attachment 435271 View attachment 435272 View attachment 435273 View attachment 435274 View attachment 435276 View attachment 435277

That's some nice looking kit there Pantelis.

Well my current plan is to wait till mid-August - then we get the garage roof fixed. It leaks right now, onto the work bench, which ain't good, what with all our english rain. Then I'm going to buy a pedestal drill and an air compressor. It's not worth to doing that till the garage is fixed.

Then I'm gonna strip the ms200t again :) and leak down test it properly. I still think it was good to take apart earlier, since I've learnt a lot of stuff. If I can rebuild that properly, then next year I might try to rebuild my ms341 (a bit more scientifically) since that is a little bit messy on idle. But I'm going wait till I'm better at chainsaw mechanics! Since this autumn we'll need it for cutting logs.

Later
Matt

Latest posts

Back