MS200T Muffler Replacement - What Am I Looking At - Cost & Time Wise?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Burning Rom

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just picked up an MS200T on fleabay for a decent price. Seller said it had a cracked side cover near the exhaust, but had just been tuned up and is ready to cut. Well, if by ready to cut, he meant after you replace the cracked muffler, then I guess he was correct. Anyway, just trying to decide what to do with the saw. How much is a new muffler going to run me from the dealer? Baileys has them listed for $70, but they're usually $10 or so over on stuff like those, so I'm guessing around $60? Also, anyone know what needs to come off the saw? Obviously the gas tank assembly and the back of the top handle. Does the whole top handle need to come off? Anything else?

Thanks for any info...was anticipating this delivery...definitely a let down after a long day of work :mad:

Nothing but three screws and the muffler screws. Take the two screws out of the bottom of the saw, the ones that hold the tank to the case. Take the one screw out of the plastic covers on the side of the saw just below the clutch. The two muffler bolts are accessed through holes in the bottom of the tank. It's a 5 minute job, max.

Nothing but three screws and the muffler screws. Take the two screws out of the bottom of the saw, the ones that hold the tank to the case. Take the one screw out of the plastic covers on the side of the saw just below the clutch. The two muffler bolts are accessed through holes in the bottom of the tank. It's a 5 minute job, max.

That's good news. Thanks for the rundown on it. Any idea what they cost?

BTW, there's not a front and back to the top handle. It's one piece with a cover on the side.

I should have been more specific by saying rear buffer and front buffer. Usually, when I pull a tank assembly on an 020av, I only unbolt the rear buffer. With that unbolted, you're able to sneak the tank out and get the carb off. Glad to hear the tank doesn't have to come off at all though on this saw.

Easy fix

New mufflers are $53.00 ea from Stihl.

To remove the muffler you'll need to:

1. Remove the clutch cover.
2. Remove the lower half of the oil pump cover, 1 screw.
3. Remove the starter cover.
4. Loosen the 2 lower tank retaining screws.
5. 3 & 4 will allow the tank assembly to spread open slightly.
6. Remover the 2 muffler mount screws and washers.
7. Slide the muffler out. You may need to spread the tank assembly open a hair.
8. Don't lose the metal flange gasket.
9. Clean up the screws and gasket.

Replacing the muffler:

1. Make sure the washers are on the muffler flange screws.
2. Insert the screws into the holes in the muffler.
3. Place the gasket onto the screws. You’ll need to turn the screws so they thread into the gasket about 1 turn. This will keep the gasket from falling off during assembly.
4. Carefully slide the new muffler into position. You may need to spread the tank open a hair.
5. Looking through the access holes in the bottom of the tank align the screws and star both of them.
6. Verify that the gasket hasn’t moved.
7. Snug up the screws.
8. Replace the lower cover, starter and clutch cover.
9. Cut wood.

If you run into a problem PM me and I’ll send my phone number.

MP5N

An 020AV isn't even remotely similiar. I do not recall what they cost. Sorry.

I'm well aware of the differences between the two saws, but the layouts regarding the buffers and how the top handles mount are similar, even if the carb is in a very different place. They both have a buffer on each end of the handle that attach the handle to the crankcase and tank assembly respectively. I've had dozens of 020avs apart, but I haven't had a 200 apart yet, so I was just taking a guess on what might need to be done to get at the muffler based on what I can see on a fully assembled saw in the 10 mins I had to play around with it before dinner.

New mufflers are $53.00 ea from Stihl.

To remove the muffler you'll need to:

1. Remove the clutch cover.
2. Remove the lower half of the oil pump cover, 1 screw.
3. Remove the starter cover.
4. Loosen the 2 lower tank retaining screws.
5. 3 & 4 will allow the tank assembly to spread open slightly.
6. Remover the 2 muffler mount screws and washers.
7. Slide the muffler out. You may need to spread the tank assembly open a hair.
8. Don't lose the metal flange gasket.
9. Clean up the screws and gasket.

Replacing the muffler:

1. Make sure the washers are on the muffler flange screws.
2. Insert the screws into the holes in the muffler.
3. Place the gasket onto the screws. You’ll need to turn the screws so they thread into the gasket about 1 turn. This will keep the gasket from falling off during assembly.
4. Carefully slide the new muffler into position. You may need to spread the tank open a hair.
5. Looking through the access holes in the bottom of the tank align the screws and star both of them.
6. Verify that the gasket hasn’t moved.
7. Snug up the screws.
8. Replace the lower cover, starter and clutch cover.
9. Cut wood.

If you run into a problem PM me and I’ll send my phone number.

MP5N

Thanks for the detailed response and the pricing info! I'll check around tomorrow with the local dealers and see if anyone has one in stock.

Back