MS201T C-M very hard pull, dual pawl addition, other thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHden

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The new MS201T-CM I picked up a few weeks back has been a bit of a battle in the starter pull force area. I always release the rope and find the next pawl catch on the flywheel before pulling. Starting is enough to break my arm. With plug out, it turns fine. With plug in, you can give it a hard pull and after the first compression point, it feels like a brick wall. Turning by hand, you get what you'd expect from the piston / cylinder.

I determined that part of the problem is my strength although I've never had a problem with my other Stihl saws. The rest of the problem includes high compression (not measured yet) and Stihl's quest for cheaper construction.

My MS200T has a ground or finely turned steel shaft for the rope rotor to spin on. It turns like silk. And more importantly, with about 40 pounds or more of side force, it turns like silk.

The 201T has a cheap plastic shaft, I believe part of the fan housing molding. When the rotor turns on it, put that same side force and its a different story. Couple this with the single pawl which both saws have and you have a bad situation. That plastic shaft bends with your pull force and whatever support the pawl gives against the flywheel, it only happens once per rev.

So, I'm starting to like this saw after adding a second pawl and dual pawl spring (pawls, spring and new washer in kit # 1125-195-7200 ) and wiping the shaft with a small amount of synthetic caliper lube (green, Permatex). The second pawl gives it another point of support against side forces, diametrically opposite to the single pawl. The lube prevents plastic to plastic drag.

It's still not an easy pull but the changes can be felt. If you do the dual pawls, be sure to put the spring on in the correct direction. If it's wrong, you won't see the pawls flip outward when you pull the cord. And whether you can feel it or not, these few things will add to the life of your saw.

Back