MS211 worm gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi All,
Long time no visit.

Life moves on and most of my spare time is now with the grand kids :) so I don't do too much fixing of chainsaws anymore and am a little rusty on the subject.

I have an MS 211 that a friend has asked me to have a look at that stopped oiling. The worm gear is chewed up and seized on the shaft. Need a little guidance before I start with the blunt force, just to check with you guys, the worm gear would normally just wind off the shaft wouldn't it? Service manual is no help on this subject.

Also any tips to get this thing free? not a lot to grab hold of if it's going to need to be pulled free.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

It is just an oilite type bearing that slides onto the crankshaft.
Yeah, I thought so. Well this one is either done sliding or the mangled plastic is sticking it in place somehow.

Yep, it definitely is. Any suggestions? I'm thinking careful application of a dremmel and a diamond burr to split the bush?

Thanks. So looking at the diagram in the manual, the pump pinion looks like it should be level with the crankshaft. So this one was way too high. don't think that the saw has been messed with, so does it sound feasible that the pump has been pulled through further as the worm gear got messed up?

After tapping the pump back down to where it should be, worm gear freed up and slid off easy. Must have been trapped against the crank shaft by the body of the pump

Back