MS250 no primer bulb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefmanywrenches

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So after my first cutting extravaganza with my new saw I decided to take it apart, ish, to give it a good cleaning. I promised myself I will keep this in top notch condition after every use because I have the time and that's how to keep them operating for a long time.

It was at this point that I realized that my new saw doesn't have a primer bulb. Strange to me since every other motorized tool I have does. In hindsight, after watching videos and reading the manual for starting procedures it fired right up with no issues. I guess the efficiency of these saws doesn't delegate the need for the bulb (unless run dry) from what I can see. Regardless, it was just a surprising observation and I guess it's one less fail point that it has. Either way, just my .02.

Ethonol free fuel. If you do flood it. A zip tie or spring clamp to keep throttle wide open in regular run positon, not choke, and it will clear. A good youtube 'clearing a flooded chainsaw'

LoveStihlQuality

I know more brands than Stihl and Husqvarna, but these are modern stuff bulb. They are one more thing to give problems, so do not use it, have advantage ;)

There were some Stihl 1123 saws (021/210, 023/230, 025/250) with EZ-Start that had primer bulbs on them. None of mine had them though. Not really needed. Stihls are notorious for flooding as it is, and a primer would just add to that problem IMO.

Stihls are notorious for flooding as it is, and a primer would just add to that problem IMO.
The "primer" bulbs are really "purge" bulbs - they pull fuel from the tank, through the carb and pump it back to the tank. You can pump them all day and they'll never flood anything, they're just for removing air from the lines and carb.

Latest posts

Back